1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor transition/quote interface

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

This is from the interior of a story about the Marlins beating the Braves 4-0. I see this way too much in stories. Can anyone explain this phenomenon and why it happens?

-----------------------
    The Braves, who hit some balls hard, were impressed with Olsen's effort.

"We hit some balls a ton, but they caught them," manager Bobby Cox said. "[Jair] Jurrjens gives up two runs, and we have to win."

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Can you specify what it is in here that you're seeing way too much?

3. I'll take a stab: The quote repeats what he just wrote. "Braves hit balls hard" "We hit a ton"

It's lazy and evidence someone is formulaic or trying to fill an inch count with nothing.

4. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Is this an AP story?

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Where is there, anywhere, an inkling in the quote that the Braves were "impressed by Olsen's effort"?

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's precisely what I was going to speculate before I saw this post.

It's even worse than having you quote someone who says basically the exact same thing you said before the quote.

Eg: Orioles manager Dave Trembley said he was disappointed with Roberts' lack of hustle.
    "I'm disappointed that Roberts didn't hustle," Trembley said.

Draft saved Draft deleted