1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor Murray Chass

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 8, 2009.

1. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

It was the right move.
    It was done the wrong way. That's all.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm right about what? Did I suggest that?

Besides, $78 mill might just be a bargain considering he did what no other Atlanta Brave has ever done in 43 years - take his team to a World Series title.

Given the franchise history, they'll need to move to yet another city and wait another three decades or so before celebrating another championship.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Did that himself, did he?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Again, I ask, what exactly did the Braves do wrong to poor little Tommy Glavine?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

*sigh*

Yeah. He did. He was like Eddie Feigner, pitching from second base. No, actually, he was like Bugs Bunny, playing every position in the field simultaneously. He was the only hitter in the batting order, too. Plus, he fucked Chuck Norris in the ass between each and every inning, in each and every game of that post-season. And did him twice as often on off-days.

What more did the Braves need? What more would they ever need? I mean, geez, it's a good thing they only played one World Series in 1995. If there'd been more than one, Glavine would have kept right on winning them.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Probably because they had Hanson on their fantasy rosters. lol

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

There's no doubt that Wren handled this poorly. But Glavine signed with the Mets for three years, $30 million when the Braves were offering two years, $18 million. That's a business decision. If Glavine can make a business decision, so can the Braves.

8. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Not completely true. In his last minor league rehab start (which iirc, was six scoreless innings at Rome), Tommy admitted that he didnt have control of his pitches and the club said he had lost ~5 miles off his fastball. Considering his stuff had already deteriorated, that's a pretty big drop.

I think at the end of the day, Glavine was probably the Braves' 7th best starter (maybe 8th if Hudson comes back healthy). If he were 23 years old, it would be worth it to keep him and throw him in the minors. But he isnt going to do that (nor should he). Why should the Braves not throw one of their younger, currently better pitchers just to give Tommy a roster slot?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

How did Wren not handle this properly? He told Glavine to his face that they were releasing him, unless he wanted to retire and be honored etc. He did not go to the media first, he did not leak it before it happened.

He talked to Glavine first when the decision was made. How is this wrong?
    Because poor little Tommy Glavine says it was? Gee, I wonder if he's devastated?

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Chass is not exactly suggesting readers go on a hunger strike until the Braves change their minds. And considering Glavine's history, I see nothing wrong with Glavine's belief that he deserved a chance to throw against major-league hitters before a decision was made. And if money weren't in the equation, no doubt he'd have had that chance. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Re: the 5 mph off his fastball: the club also said the scoreboard reading of his pitch speed was incorrect and it wasn't really as fast as was registering. ::)

How did Wren handle this improperly? He never should have signed him in the first place. If they weren't truly going to give the guy a chance to be in their starting rotation, let him try to catch on somewhere else. Show a little foresight and a little intelligence and think ahead to what might be the reaction and ramifications if you do need to waive/release him.

Why would you sign a Hall of Famer and then cut him before he's ever done anything on the field to warrant that?

Draft saved Draft deleted