1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor Jim Leyritz

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spnited, May 27, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This will likely be the end result. He'll get off from manslaughter because of her perceived culpability for being drunk. That's his defense and according to LeBatard's story, if the victim helped cause the accident, the other driver, even if drunk, can be ruled involved but not responsible.

If he gets off because of that, it seems fair. It also seems fair that he has had to suffer through the uncertainty of whether he is going to jail for manslaughter and the public humiliations he has had to deal with as a result and the breathalizer in his car and even the malfunction of the thing. Few people are going to feel the pity he feels for himself. It's all part of his punishment.

But I don't see why anyone would call him a "piece of shit." The guy made a horrible mistake. Lots of people make the same horrible mistake, and if they don't kill anyone as a result of their stupid decision, there aren't people lined up calling them a "piece of shit." Isn't that really harsh, and doesn't what was/is in his heart matter at all before writing him off as a piece of shit? He doesn't come off like a monster to me. He comes off (and this has nothing to do with LeBatard) like a guy who has screwed up his life, made some bad choices (one particularly bad one) and is wallowing around at a low point. It's sad.

I agree with what 21 said. I have read enough LeBatard to know he can be a jock sniffer. And I wonder how much of the reaction to this column is because of who wrote it. Because unlike other LeBatard things in which I thought he was bending over backward and straining to be a mouthpiece for an athlete, I thought this was just presenting what is a reasonable storyline to consider.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1633652/

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I think LeBetard did a sufficient representation of the victim.
    He qualified nearly every assertion by Leyritz.

i.e.
    My feelings for LeBatard and his "style" aside, I didn't get the "sympathy quest" with this telling.
    I got more "three-hour glimpse," more "view from the outside."
    This subject is highly emotional because so many have been affected by the irresponsibility and by the general societal indifference for the non-lethal version of DUI.
    But, the presentation of one person's tale shouldn't bring scorn on the presenter. That placement seems odd.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I think it is absolutely ridiculous to call Leyritz a piece of shit, and I also don't think LeBatard was "trying" to defend him...

However, this line just sucked...

" - and it is hard to muster compassion when two kids lose their mother, Leyritz's victim winning all arguments with her eternal silence - "

There has to be a better way to phrase that

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I understand, GBNF, your problem with that euphemistic phrase. It could have been worded to properly capture the magnitude to of the loss. But, overall, I think it works as a qualifier.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't have a problem with that. Good line.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

you sound like selena roberts convicting the duke lacrosse players.

guilt, innocence, same thing, whatever.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Bracketing that line from The Jock Sniffer Emeritus are these two passages. Shit that Le Batard is a master of: The quote that he allows to stand unchallenged and then the interrogative assertion. It's his opinion plain and simple, and he is cowardly placing it in there in a ham-handed attempt to give him plausible deniability that it is his opinion.

The quote opinion:

''This accident happens whether I was drinking that day or not,'' Leyritz says. ``It would have happened at 2 in the afternoon. There was no possibility of me avoiding that crash with all of my senses. A mother was taken away from her kids. I can't change that. But I didn't do it. The accident did. And that accident wasn't my fault.''

---
    NO follow-up challenge by the writer, hence, that, to me, is Le Batard's opinion.

The interrogative opinion:

In pro football alone this week, it was revealed that at least 73 players on last year's rosters had at least one DUI arrest. What are the odds two legally drunk people would collide at the same intersection? Would you be angry if you thought you were fine enough to drive, and your view was obstructed on a dark and empty road, and you drove through a yellow light, and you were hit by a woman with a higher blood-alcohol limit who might have been arguing and texting and speeding? And you lost just about everything that mattered to you in that dark blink of time between seeing yellow and seeing red?

-------
    Cowardly, Danny. Just say you believe him and that it wasn't his fault.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't have a problem with letting Leyritz defend himself (via the quote) ... that was sort of the point of the piece.

The second thing you mentioned really didn't sit well with me, though. I think he's trying to put us in Leyritz's shoes, which is again the point of the piece. But it does veer into dangerous and speculative territory.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Yes, let him defend himself, and then pound on him. Unless you believe him.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm in total agreement with Simon here. The paragraph he quoted is dripping with the "hey, everybody does this, so don't come down on Leyritz's too much."

And I don't care if "her side has been covered before by other stories." This story could have been better if he'd talked to her family and made this about two families being destroyed by two drunk drivers. Instead, we got the implication that poor Jim Leyritz was unlucky enough to do something we all do -- have a few drinks and run a yellow light -- and someone drunker than him happened to die.

The idea that she was "drunker than he was" and that makes it less of a crime is bullshit anyway, since he wouldn't even take a breathalyzer or give a blood sample for two to three hours after the incident.

I need a lot more facts before I even begin to believe Leyritz's story. For starters, think about an intersection. Close your eyes and picture it. Let's say Leyritz is driving South to North. This woman is driving East to West. He goes through a yellow light and hits the side of her car, correct? So in order for Leyritz's story to work, she has to be moving into the intersection early, correct? If his light was just turning yellow, hers was still red. Have the cops at any point suggested that she ran a red, or went through the light early? I haven't seen that anywhere. The yellow light -- which is entirely Leyritz's word -- is presented as fact by LeBetard, which is fucking ridiculous.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

LeBatard again attaches himself to an unpopular position to get attention.

Ho hum.

Draft saved Draft deleted