1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor Jim Leyritz

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spnited, May 27, 2009.

1. If Leyritz dies in that accident, and the first reports paint him as just as intoxicated as the woman who killed him, I guarantee nobody on this board calls that woman a POS.

I won't read the piece, because it's written by LeBatard. Who is awful.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I drove home impaired once.

At no point was I ever going a speed where I could have killed someone in an SUV.

I was petrified the whole drive home. 25 years ago.

Have never done it since. Won't. Under any circumstance.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It would not have taken great effort to talk to, or try to reach, the woman's survivors. Maybe some integrity, but not effort.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Amen to that.

Le Batard is such a fucking jock sniffer.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He writes that the light may have been yellow as if that makes it ok. Or at least understandable. That truly bugs me. If you've been drinking, and you're not a reckless asshole, why are you gunning the gas to get through a light?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just seems like typical white trash. "Don't judge me".

Sounds like a big happy family at the rental.

Anyway, poor Jim. He was a good guy. He'd stay for seven innings instead of two. What a hero.

It's not the DUI that bugs me the most, it's the fact that this guy thinks that he doesn't have a problem. Prison time should sober him up quickly.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's certainly fair....

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I read it now.

I have to disagree that I feel her story needs to be told to any great degree here as well.

While this story was picked up by the AP, which meant that anybody nationally -- not in South Florida -- didn't get things from her perspective, in the papers that matter in Le Batard's readership area, her story WAS told quite a bit in the days following the accident.

He isn't writing for what AP picks up -- he's writing for South Florida. And most of his readers are well aware of the case, and the sad story of the mom, and all of it.

He's telling the story about the other tragic half of this story (at least I think it's tragic). I think he does a good job with it.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Didn't really follow this story until now, but IMO, she was drunk. Case closed. He shouldn't go to prison for maunslaughter. Maybe lose his license for driving drunk and pay a large fine, but not manslaughter.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sucking Cock For Cash.

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Hate to say it. but if the women is drunk it matters. She has some culpability in the situation. He should go to jail, but we are talking the difference between a year or 2 and maybe 10 or more.

If they are both impaired, who is at fault for the accident? She may have very well caused the accident that killed herself. They bear equal responsibility for the accident.

I think Leyritz should be

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I wonder, if this hadn't been written by someone with a reputation for being an athlete-apologist, whether the reaction here would be different.

To me, Leyritz just comes off as pathetic. Not innocent, or victimized, or misunderstood. Just pathetic. I don't see DLB trying to make him look any better than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted