1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor Barry can't find a job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, May 7, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

He dealt with BALCO, the home run chase and whatever else during his San Francisco days. I don't see that being a distraction for Bonds, who's a professional hitter who could come cheap, given the circumstances.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Tigers absolutley should sign Bonds.
    Barr-oid and Sheff -- two of the most selfiish, arrogant pricks ever to play the game -- in the same cluibhouse would be a shitshow worth paying admission to see.

3. That would be fun to watch.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Agreed.
    I wouldn't envy the Tigers beat writers, though.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No NL teams could use a DH for interleague play?

I know he would only help for a handful of games, but it's better than trotting out a .375 slugging utility guy.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because they reflexively defend each and every player, no matter the circumstances. You would think it would dawn on them that a player who is universially detested by his teammates and insists upon his own chair and TV in the clubhouse might be someone that a team doesn't want to take a chance on.

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Because there's no chance that he'd have to miss any part of the season because of pending charges.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is just stupid. A union has a legal obligation to investigate such claims and would be derelict in its duties if it didn't investigate. Despite age-diminished skills Bonds remains easily among the top five percent of hitters. Keep in mind that union members can sue their own union for failure to appropriately represent them in workplace matters.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's the biggest problem, I would think, any team would have with signing Bonds. If you could do a Sammy Sosa-type deal and sign him to a minor league contract or a contract in the $500,000 or $600,000 range, there's plenty of teams that could use him. But do you really think he's signing for less than $10 million? How many teams want to pay that, even if they have a spot to play him? Factor the price tag in with his age, lack of mobility and defensive ability, and he's pretty much unsignable for anyone other than the Yankees or Red Sox.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To me, that is the question here. Has anybody even made any offers at all? If somebody offered Bonds $1 million and he said no, like the Rays did for Lofton, then this is a joke. But if nobody made any kind of offer at all, I can understand the need to at least make a show of looking into it.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Fact is nobody knows how much BB is seeking because nobody has even called and asked, according to his agent. Neither asking price nor ability is keeping BB out of work.

And the Rays offer to Lofton was for quite a bit less than $1 million -- an insult to a guy who batted .296 with a .367 OBP, 38 extra-base hits and 23 stolen bases in 490 at-bats last year.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had read that it was $1 million, but isn't Lofton also demanding something in the $6 million range and a full-time job?

Draft saved Draft deleted