1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor Barry can't find a job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, May 7, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Like someone said, their lineup isn't what they thought it was going to be. And people have been known to do some stupid things in times of desperation.

2. rube

rube Active Member

I understand your point, but that lineup will be fine. And after their nightmarish start, they're still only 3.5 out of first.
    Who'd have thought the AL Central would be such a garbage bin this season.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Anyone else get the idea that the powers loathed the idea of doing this investigation?

I seriously doubt anything will come of it. There are some daft executives with MLB clubs, but each one of them is smart enough to realize on its own that Bonds isn't worth his baggage.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Not. Going. To. Happen.
    If the Tigers wanted Barry Bonds they'd have him already.
    What're they waiting for? They're not negotiating a contract, or else Barroid wouldn't be complaining to the MLBPA. In the meantime he's getting older by the minute.
    Bonds' only chance to get back in the league would've been taking the spot Frank Thomas did for the A's.
    He's done.

5. rube

rube Active Member

I doubt he's done ... some desperate contender's DH could snap his leg off sometime this summer and he might be a pretty enticing option. But like KYwriter said before, someone would have to be extremely desperate and it'd have to probably be later in the season.

6. KYSportsWriter

But wouldn't signing Bonds go against everything Beane has done over the years?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I actually believe that Bonds would be the prototypical Beane signing.
    He does everything Beane values in a player and would come cheap.
    Personally I hope we have seen the last of him but strictly as a DH I'm sure he could help somebody, on the field. It is whether you can live with the off field stuff to make it worth while.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, cause Jacqui Jones had to improve to hit the Mendoza Line

9. Bonds would come cheap?

10. KYSportsWriter

That'll be a first.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I agree with you guys about Barry Bonds still being a viable Major League option. Even with his diminished skills.
    One problem, though. He's been indicted on perjury and obstruction charges for lying to a federal grand jury. That might hamper his ability to perform. His challenge should be with the federal prosecutor and the IRS, not collusion accusations.

12. KYSportsWriter

But why can't the MLBPA realize that and let this shit go?

Draft saved Draft deleted