1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor Barry can't find a job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, May 7, 2008.

1. What about Ernie Banks?

You telling me there isn't a team who could use a guy with 512 homers?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What possible argument could anyone make that baseball collectively colluded to keep these guys out of baseball?

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Exactly where would the Tigers play Bonds? DH? They already have Gary Sheffield and Magglio Ordonez. I don't see them getting rid of either of those two to make room for Bonds.

This "collusion" is a joke. Kirk Gibson laughs over such a term being used.

4. chester

chester Member

Didn't they just move Sheff to left field?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They were getting Sheffield, Jones and Ordonez at-bats. Jones is gone. No need to take at-bats from Sheffield or from Ordonez.

21, I think the argument is with Bonds not even getting any offers. The rest of players on that list either sucked last year or turned down legitimate offers to play in the majors.

The problem is either Bonds or Sheffield would be in left field each day.

Not that I blame any team for not wanting Bonds. He could still be useful, but is he worth all the crap that comes with him?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Unshockingly, they're developing the very common problem of a logjam at 1B/DH, exacerbated by two stupid moves -- moving Guillen to DH and Cabrera to 1B.

Sheffield cannot play the field any more. (The stories regarding his insertion in LF were hilarious -- they said he "asked" or "offered" to play LF, when anybody who knows anything about Sheffield knows it was more like "demanded". Gary Sheffield doesn't "ask" nothin'.) Ordonez will have to move to 1B/DH himself very soon -- his defense in RF is very poor and getting worse, he's 34 with a history of knee problems.

When you move guys who CAN play another position to 1B/DH, this is what happens. The concept of signing Bonds is beyond idiotic -- yeah, another 40+ year-old guy who runs the 40 yard dash in 10 minutes, that's what they need. ::) ::)

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bonds should have taken the buyout.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bonds to the Tigers is the one thing that might make sense, given his friendship with Leyland...

9. rube

rube Active Member

Unless he's become a starting pitcher this offseason, I don't think they take the gamble/chemistry ruiner/PR disaster

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Only is his arm hasn't fallen off since retiring.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's the Tigers. I wouldn't put any thing past them right now.

12. rube

rube Active Member

Why? Other than dump Junk Jones and shuffle the lineup ... what have they done to make them an unstable organization?

Draft saved Draft deleted