1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pool or no pool

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Sep 1, 2011.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

No.

If you want one, that's one thing, but the fact you're asking us pretty much makes it sound like you're not that into it.

It's a job to keep it clean, can be a PITA as well as a liability, and unless you absolutely want one, it's not going to be worth your while.

When they moved from my childhood home, my parents bought a house with one. The house had stood unsold for months *because* of the pool (in Florida, too, so that line about everyone needing a pool there is a crock of grits. I knew one single person growing up who had one.)

No one ever really used the thing, though my father poured a ton of money into it. At the start of every summer, it would have brown water and tadpoles all in it.

One summer, Ace the chocolate lab discovered it, though. He jumped in and swam laps all summer. The other dogs wound run around the pool barking at him. It was by far the most use the thing ever got.

Eventually, my father filled it in.

It's far better to have a neighbor who has a pool than to have one yourself.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And as usual you are a complete ass.

Go buy the thing. Who the fuck cares? It's not like I was not a certified pool operator in the state of New York for five years.

You know it all. Take care of the thing yourself. Go bottom dollar on the install. Be sure to put the thing right under a tree for shade.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Don't get your panties in a bunch becuase you wrongly assumed I don't enjoy a nice skinny dip in the jacuzzi during the summer months.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wait a second...people actually choose not to heat their hot tubs at some point? Wouldn't that just make it a bathtub? It's called a freaking hot tub!

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i've seen a guy freeze milk jugs of water and drop them in the hot tub to use it during the summer to cool off and for the jets, makes sense when it's 105 degrees.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Haven't read the entire thread an inground pool can be a negative feature when you're trying to sell your house.

My sister had one in the house they just sold and there were people who just walked away when they heard about it. And up here you can maybe have one from end of May to Canadian Thanksgiving if it's heated.

Draft saved Draft deleted