1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pool or no pool

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

We had a hot tub when I was growing up and I remember it being $20-30 per month on the electric bill. And then costs for chemicals,Ph tests, filter. That was a good 15 years ago. I'm guessing they've made them more efficient.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Oh, I could swing $20-30 extra a month. Need to do some more research...

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't forget the cost of chemicals for the pool. And a cover for the winter.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would vote no pool.

They are great if you can pay someone else to keep them up, but mostly a pain in the ass.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Cover comes with it. And I haven't yet looked into the cost of the chemicals? They pretty expensive typically? Also, how often are you supposed to drain it and fill it back up?

I suppose google is my friend, huh?

Edit: After a simple google search, here's what I found. Note: I spent about 10 seconds and only went to one site, so....

On average a hot tub costs about $1 a day for electricity and chemicals, although this can vary from $15 -$60 a month depending on size, insulation, climate and local utility costs.

A hot tub cover cuts heating costs and is also an essential safety feature for homes with children or pets. Covers start around $50 -$100, but can run $100 -$400 or more, depending on size, materials, energy efficiency and if they lock. Lifters to help move that heavy cover run $100 -$300.

Me again....So, I can definitely deal with $1 a day. Completely worth it.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Look at it this way, you are only going to heat it nine months a year. I'm guessing in June, July, August you would not want it hot.

Two things that would scare me are pipes freezing in the winter if anything should happen and the corrosion of the parts over time.

I would spend the extra on the cover to keep the heat in. Insulation on top of anything makes a huge difference.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In certain parts of the country, pools are much more common than others. In Arizona and Florida, for example, they are pretty common. Just GoogleEarth a neighborhood.

In Virginia, I would not want one. I have a great subdivision that has two pools, and that gives us plenty of time in the water.

One reason why I would not want pools is dogs. I had a friend in AZ that lost two dogs to drowning in pools.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

What are the other pool options available? Sure, it's a public vs. private pool question, but if you have an option where you could live a mile from a decent public pool, why not buy pool passes and let someone else deal with the added hassle and maintenance?

For example, where I am now, I live a half-mile from a nice outdoor city pool with diving boards, 2 big water slides and it costs $120 a year for family passes. In the other direction, there's a community center with a similar indoor pool, plus a huge weight room, basketball courts, a running track and all that stuff. An annual family pass for there is $570. We belong to both places for what I'm guessing would be less than I'd spend on a pool in my backyard, much less when you factor in homeowners insurance and the other perks we get from the community center.

And how long do you plan on staying there? There is a significant portion of homebuyers who won't even consider a home with a pool (probably a lower percentage where you are). As tough as the real estate market is now anyway, I wouldn't be comfortable buying a house that I knew would have a lower pool of potential buyers simply because of something that's in the backyard.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Obviously, home swimming pools are rare in these parts, although a house on the street one over from mine has one. Lexington has several pool clubs, which are swimming pools operated by neighborhood groups. Immediate neighborhood houses sometimes come with memberships attached, but mostly you just join. We belonged to one when our kids were still in the house, then dropped it. It was $500 a season for the family.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

In Texas, you won't need to heat your pool unless you want to be in it late October-early April.

I never thought I wanted one, but there definitely is something to coming home from work and jumping in, with some music and maybe a couple of beers in a cooler.

Miantenance isn't all that bad, but everyone has their own definition of "not all that bad," I guess.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I would say no. My brother, who lives outside Houston, put one in his backyard, and he described it as, "a big hole in the ground that you throw money into."

Draft saved Draft deleted