1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pool or no pool

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Sep 1, 2011.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

finally decided that home prices have dropped enough and it's time to buy. have pared down the list to three houses - 1 one with a pool. for those who have had a pool, is it worth the extra work (or paying a pool guy) and the extra money for utilities?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

1. Do you have kids?
    2. Do you live in a temperate enough area where you would get enough use out of it? We had one in Ohio, but we only used it like four months a year.
    3. In ground or above ground? Heated?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Probably depends on the area, but I think it usually pays off OK in the resale value of your house.

Personally, I would be absolutely terrified to own a pool if there were young children in the house.

4. txsportsscribe

single, no kids and in north texas. and the pool is heated.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you think you'll use it, and it's in good shape, I'd say go for it. LTL's right, it will help in resale. And you're probably years away from kids (even if you get married in the next year) so it should be good. And it's good to invite girls back to your pool. :)

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yes. Please keep us advised on all actual or potential FFM threesomes.

7. txsportsscribe

would surely have used it this summer with 40-something straight 100-degree days and now up to 60-something days overall!

8. txsportsscribe

would post photos but me being in them would just ruin it for everyone

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It costs an insane amount of money to heat a pool, even a hot tub.

In Texas, I would think maintenance wouldn't be too bad. Your homeowners insurance will also be significantly higher.

10. I assume you are talking in-ground?
    NO.

It is a LOT of work and maintenance - i.e added costs - and pools do not add much to the resale value of homes (in my neck of the woods).
    Plus, the price of above-ground pools are pretty cheap now and be removed.
    My uncle installed a pool after they bought ther house.. It took thier entire back yard (small lot) and required a good bit of maintenance and they found out it added very little resale value to their home. And with their kids now out of the house it is also very little used.

Anymore it's just a pool. ... maybe a diving board or a water slide... For kids, pools are BORING, compared to the water parks many municipalites are installing in lieu of the old pools...

No. No. No.

But that's just my opinion. Ask your realtor what they think.

Found this from money magazine...

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Yes, but does it still cost an insane amount of money to have a heated pool in North Texas?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Even a hot tub? I'm thinking about getting one and was wondering how much extra that would run. I can handle the maintenance, but the extra energy cost has kept me from getting one...so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted