1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pompei quits Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tmr, Aug 1, 2013.

1. tmr

tmr Member

Big hole for the paper as Bears camp opens. It's not like that's a big deal in Chicago...

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/08/01/dan-pompei-chicago-tribune-columnist-reportedly-quits-over-freelance-issue/

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

He's a good writer who'll be missed by Tribune subscribers. Hopefully he'll land a good gig somewhere else.

Meanwhile, about that freeze on freelance work ... as long as it's not for a competing company, and he's available when needed for his beat, why is it the Trib's business?

On a much smaller scale, I've used freelance and stringing gigs to make a few bucks quite a bit over the past 20 years. I'd be pissed, too.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There's a line about Pompei and scorched earth in here somewhere, but I'm too tired to go searching for it.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I guess the Trib is witnessing the last days of Pompei.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

With all the bullshit that's been going on with Tribune the past few years, they've got some nerve telling their employees what they can't do to earn a living.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Considering who the SE is at the Tribune, I'm going to 100 percent side with Pompei on this one.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

sports editor's credentials are not impressive but, in fairness, this decision is probably way above his pay grade.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So how long before Pompei surfaces somewhere else, probably a Web site, covering the NFL? Can't imagine anyone making such a sudden, principled move without a ready place to land -- or serious inheritance.

9. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

The Tribune Co. is exceptional at cutting off its nose to spite its face. This has nothing to do with the SE. It is a company-wide policy, from talking to friends. They make you sign it as part of the new ethics agreement: No outside work.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If only they had a provision in that ethics agreement about no political biases bleeding into news content. Most newspapers would benefit more from that than from dictating what workers could do in terms of moonlighting.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Does the company wide policy extend to executives being outside directors of other corporations? Don't all bother to answer at once.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I worked at a paper that tried to implement a policy like this. Within three months, the NBA writer and the MLB writer left, and there was another writer there who started freelancing under a pen name. Everybody in sports knew about it, but as long as the ME didn't know, nobody really cared. The policy lasted about six months total and was reversed when the movie critic and one of the columnists threatened to leave.

Draft saved Draft deleted