1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polygamy: Why not?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

For me, one wife is too many enough.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

amen, bruddah.....amen.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yeah, that's my thought. Been married twice, and while I loved the "being married" aspect, sometimes I coulda done without the actual wife. Want two or three? Unless it's for the ever-changing booty, I couldn't imagine why.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Spoken by someone whose wife doesn't read the site, apparently.

5. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,,1953263,00.html

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

As I have argued in regards to gay marriage, marriage is a governmental contract between parties. Allowing a person to enter into the same contract with another individual does not allow balance in fulfilling the contract to the first person.

Here are some potential problems (all cases assume 1-man and multiple wives):
    - Health Insurance. Are all the wives covered? Could this be a way for people to cheat the system? ("Hey I'm covered for insurance. You can be my second wife, we don't fuck or anything, but you pay my $50 each month and I'll add you to my plan.")

- Inheritance. Let's say spouse number 2 dies. Does only the man, the individual who has the contract with the wife, receive the inheritance? What about the other wives who, through sacrifice or their own work, helped that woman before she passed? Are they not entitled to inheritance?

- Inheritance (2). Let's say the man dies. Who receives his land, money or possessions? Would it be split evenly amongst the women or would it be divided up based on the number of children he has?

- Taxes. Could there be a limit on dependants?

- Immigration. "What's that? You want to move to America, with your sister? Sure, I'll marry both of you for X dollars."

Now, if some guy's wife is fine with her husband boinking and fathering kids with other women that will be faithful to him, who am I to argue? But, in the eyes of the government, his marriage license is only applicable to one person.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In some states, the AoC is lower than 18. In Mississippi, I think females can marry at 15 or 16 without parental consent.

8. JackS

JackS Member

I'm not going to re-enter the overall debate, and I don't mean to be cold, but I do want to mention on this one point that health insurance is a privilege, not a right. Employers can and should be able to cover whomever they want. We're really lucky as hell that employers cover anything more than the employee, or the employee him or herself, in fact.

It's a perk that somehow morphed into a right in most people's eyes.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Jack, to some adequate health coverage is the staple of a modern civilization. But that is neither her nor there in this discussion.

I mention it because many employers that do offer healthcare will also cover the spouse. As such, if you cover one spouse, why not the other? This now causes rates to go up and the employer no longer wants to pay.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Dude, I've spent 30 years trying to find ONE person to marry me, let alone more than that.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Give me a call. I've got an opening in my harem. ;D

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Women only get one husband, only men can have multiple spouses!!

Draft saved Draft deleted