1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polygamy: Why not?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/21/AR2006112100206.html?nav=hcmodule

I gotta agree with Mr. Turley, IMHO.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I know that polygamy as an institution is criticized as being a haven for misogynists and pedophiles.
    But philosophically, consenting adults should be able to enter into multiple marriage.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

As long as it works both ways; some polygamist communities believe only the man should be allowed multiple spouses while the women should remain faithful.

4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

That way a lot of men can be shitty husbands to multiple wives.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think they have a good point. As poor as it turns out in practice, it seems like it should be legal in theory.

6. As long as the people are of consenting age and are doing it under their own will, I don't care, but I'm not a member of the religious right, so I have no morals.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't think you can really cast polygamy as a moral majority, religious right issue.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is that a problem? ;D

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Hey, if the gay contingent has their way, give the Polygamists room to roam too.

Then, why is 18 an age of consent? Make it 17. You know, maybe there's rights there we've been overlooking. You could even shove it in from of the conservative evangelical wing that Mother Mary was a minor when she gave birth to Christ. Hell, let's make it 14 for mature people. That way, teachers can be legally in love with students. I mean, rights, right?

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

OK, I'll do it. Here goes:

Know what the penalty for bigamy is?

Two wives.

11. I see the Thanksgiving paste is a'cookin' already!

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

OK........why the hell would one man want to have more than one naggin' princess nipping at his heels?

Draft saved Draft deleted