1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polygamists get their prey back...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pastor, May 22, 2008.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

CNN.com: Court: Texas had no right to remove polygamists' children

I guess the brainwashing and raping of children when they hit puberty wasn't enough.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Thankfully in the America I still live in "horror and outrage" and false accusations and stereotypes based on rumors and erroneous reports aren't enough to allow the government to take your children away and condemn you for religious beliefs.

I ain't saying what they are doing is right but if the evidence of rape and whatnot ain't there -- and evidently it ain't and I've read plenty on this case and there is a lot more rumor and innuendo than actual evidence of much of anything -- this is good news for anyone who believes we should be a free society.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

What is the age of consent in Texas? 18?

I ask this because if you are some 60-year-old man and you are having sex with a 13-year-old girl, you are committing a crime and all of the bleatings about "religious freedoms" become subservient to the welfare of that girl.

You want to be a polygamist in the name of religion? You're a consenting adult? Have at it.

The moment you start deflowering 13-year-olds in the name of that religion is the moment where your religious freedom -- and any other freedom, for that matter -- needs to end Right Freakin' Now.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It's 17 in Texas.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They deserve their day in court.

It may turn out that, legally, that's all they deserve, in terms of relief, and that there's a truckful of "just desserts" due them.

It looks awful. But it needs to play out.

6. zagoshe

I agree whole heartedly --- but the court of law is to determine what stories of raping 13 year olds were true and what were fiction -- and a whole lot more of them were fiction than true.

And those that did do the 13 year olds, they were arrested, once the facts bore that out -- which is how we do things here in America.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Then there's no basis for an argument.

But I read the story and nowhere did I see anything about charges being filed against anyone for having sex with underage girls, save that waste of sperm Warren Jeffs.

8. zagoshe

That's the point -- they have investigated -- and are still investigating -- a lot of the allegations and so far, many of the rumors that swirled (and became news stories because they were sensational) have just not been true.

I'd expect at the end of this that some of these kooks will go to jail and some will have their parental rights revoked but right now, the evidence is just not there.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/21/AR2006112100206.html

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The cases where the 13-year-olds were pregnant or had babies were not fiction. How much more proof would one need?
    Michael Savage was bragging about how he got this one right and how the child protective services people should be thrown in jail.
    He also said what happened to the FLDS people could happen to you.
    No. It. Can't.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The FLDS is nuts and these children will suffer for it. They're going back to the psychological hell their parents have waiting for them.

I wished the prosecutors of this case just came out, sidestepped the sexual stuff and went right for the psychological harm issue. There is no way these kids can live a mentally stable life. None. This religion, even more so than most religions, is a prison.

No child should be subjected to this mental abuse.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You still have to prove it legally though. You can't just go in and take kids away from their parents because you think something is going on.

Draft saved Draft deleted