1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polo Grounds trivia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I miss micropolitan guy Trivia Night.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Maybe I will start it again, but during the day since I don't work as many nights now.

I still like the one asking who was the only player with a hyphenated name to score in a Super Bowl.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Horace didn't get "hoodwinked" on Candlestick Park. He got a brand-new state-of-the-art (as of 1960) stadium built at public expense, and he didn't even have to share it with the 49ers until 1971. He had the Bay Area all to himself (in baseball terms) until 1968.

4. micropolitan guy

He got hoodwinked as to the nighttime weather at Candlestick Point, which isw vastly different than in the daytime, when he was shown the site of the new stadium.

There's a reason Seals Stadium, or anything else for that matter before Candlestick, wasn't built there.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The biggest selling points of Candlestick Park was most of the land was owned by one person, a construction magnate named Charles Harney. They made a point of taking Stoneham out to the site in the mornings before the winds kicked in. When they enclosed it for the 49ers, it got worse.

Another selling point was its location right off US 101. The Polo Grounds had little to no parking. That was one of the reasons Seals Stadium couldn't be expanded. One of life's little ironies, I guess, is that AT&T Park is now best accesible via Muni.

6. micropolitan guy

It also might be the best ballpark in baseball, all things considered.

Candlestick was a horrible place to watch a game. Almost as bad as the Oakland Coliseum.

Draft saved Draft deleted