1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polls show Edwards strongest candidate in general election

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 2, 2007.

1. chester

chester Member

I will second that, at least in my case. As an independent, I have no desire to vote for a Republican next November. However, none of the Democratic candidates have really put a charge into me either.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Edwards is the least-known of the three leading Democrats. Therefore, he polls closest to the generic "Democrat" vs. generic "Republican" polls that show a huge lead for the generic Dem.
    If there's one thing John Kerry taught us, it's that when voters try to figure out who is their party's most "electable" candidate, they don't do a very good job.
    I'm supporting Obama because he gave my son a (temp) job. Hey, he's from Chicago. That's how it works. Can he win? Beats me.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The country is ready to elect a woman or a minority...just not the ones running in this race.
    Hillary is too polarizing, to put it nicely. She also has the Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton pattern working against her. Obama had a shot if he'd have stuck to his original message that he had when he announced. He's backed off that a bit and now sounds like just another politician. That's a bigger problem for him than being black. He can't win over Republicans or the independents that he needs because he's sounding like just another Democrat.
    It's a similar problem for Condi Rice. It's not that she's black, or a woman. It's that she's played a prominent role in a Bush administration that even a lot of conservatives are starting to turn against.

The day after the 2006 elections, I thought we'd have a third party candidacy by 2012. The democrats would misread their victory as an endorsement of their policies, rather than a rejection of the republicans' fuck-ups, and govern like they always do. By 2008, people would be sick of both and open the door for a third party president in the next election (which would be 2012).
    The way things are going, though, there's still time for a third party to step forward in 2008. With the long election cycle this time, there's plenty of opportunity for all of the candidates and both parties to suffer foot in mouth disease. We may see a viable option emerge by next year.

5. So when does she stop being smart because of that?
    She was the worst NSA in history, by all accounts.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let me elucidate. Asked if they want a Democrat or Republican to be the next president, polls show 10-15 percent more people picking the Democrat. When polls match up individual candidates, they get closer. AS OF NOW, all the Dems, even Hillary, have slight leads over the Republicans, except in a few cases when Rudy is tied.
    If Edwards' leads are bigger, it is because he isn't as well-known, and hence disliked, as his rivals. It's the same principle that works for Fred Thompson on the GOP side. The less people know, the more they project their wishes onto a candidate.
    Is Clinton controversial? Oh my yes. Are many white American racists? Ditto. But there's also a predisposition to throw the GOP out. The tension between these factors is our dynamic today.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Rice is smart like Rumsfeld is smart. Do they know some things? Sure. Tons. It's also of little use in this Post-Cold War environment.

Half the things that happen...I just can't believe it anymore. We're back to trying to build a damn BMD right out of "Spies Like Us" again.

8. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Edwards isn't winning anything (except for "I'm a chicken award").

It's still Hilary & Rudy G. Although, Obama is showing great strides.

JDV

9. And HERRRRRREEEE COMES MITT!
    http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/romney_holds_nine_point_lead_in_new_hampshire

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bloomberg for President.

11. Can the country stand three candidates who appeared on Law and Order?
    Jill Hennessy For Queen!

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Well, if Romney gets the Republican nomination, the Dems can throw pretty much anyone out there and win IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted