1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

POLL: Your best "skill" (for the copy editors/page designers/paginators)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Jun 19, 2006.

?

If you're a Jack of All Trades, what do you feel you do best?

1. Line editing

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Editing copy/catching mistakes

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Paginating (i.e. the process of using your page design program)

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Page design (making an attractive page)

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  5. Other (playing video games, blogging while on the clock, pissing off photogs with your crops, etc.)

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Headline writing

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. Slot

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. pallister

pallister Guest

Ever think you're making it worse by doing other people's work. If it's that bad, why not talk to your/their superiors. Oh, let me guess, they're not as smart as you either. Or maybe they know you're gonna whine no matter what, so they tune you out. Nobody likes a know-it-all.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The answer from above is usually: "He/she is a designer." I shit you not.

And letting all of that stuff go is tempting, and sometimes it happens out of sheer necessity. But making a pattern of it seems like a bad choice.

Oh, and you suck for even suggesting that as an option.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

A wordsmith such as yourself has to be able to come up with better insults. You've gone to the "you suck" well twice in three posts. You're better than that. Aren't you?

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's late. And I usually go to that one when the person is making no sense and there's no point in going into a real argument.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Good night.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I had, to say the least, one of those nights where I wish I could be someplace that allows me to specialize. Alas, I don't know the secret handshake.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What an entertaining thread.

8. sportsed

sportsed Guest

DyePack,

I hope, based on my past performances and responses to your posts, that I've treated you respectfully and humanely and have not jumped your shit.

Can I make one request? Please change your side picture. It makes my stomach turn.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's time for something different anyway. I may not change it ASAP, but I'll do it soon.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Good thread.,
    Anyway, as a fellow Jack-of-all-trades, I'm a pretty decent writer but I feel my one strength that'll get my foot in the door in the larger papers is my pagination and design abilities.
    I can whip up my MLB page pretty fast but the key is the page is pretty good. It has the agate, photos, and the roundups along with some minor league stuff; typical MLB page. I LOVE to create the front of the sports, thinking about a million things of what to do and then finally sitting down with Quark and doing it. Trial and error is quite common at my desk but I love it.

11. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted