1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Yes or no: would you carry the torch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by westcoastvol, Apr 9, 2008.

?

If you were given the opportunity to carry the torch for the Beijing Olympics, would you do it?

1. Yes, I believe Olympic ideals trump everything else.

55.3%
  2. No, I would send a message about China's human rights policy.

44.7%
  1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Have at it, folks...

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's unanimous so far.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I carried it in '96, so yes.

4. Grimace

Grimace Guest

They've been carrying around the Beijing Olympics torch since '96? Damn!

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Carrying the torch is on my list of 100 things to do in my lifetime.

To me, the torch doesn't represent the country or the politics, it represents the Olympic Games ....flawed as they are.

The problems facing China existed long before the Games rolled onto the calendar...seems rather disingenuous to start taking political stands just because the media is finally paying attention.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I voted "no" for two reasons:

1. The obvious, China's treatment of Tibet.

2. Once the Olympics got waaaaaaay, way too overtly commercial, I stopped giving a shit about the Olympics.

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Disingenous? Maybe they're taking stands because the torch offers something tangible to protest against. And what better time to protest than when the media is paying attention?

And I'm sure the people taking stands have been doing it before the last couple of days. Just because you weren't paying attention doesn't make them disingenous.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

Then I think all those people who work for companies that do business with China should register their disapproval and refuse to do any work related to China.

Exactly. So why hold the athletes hostage?

Opposition to China playing host to the Games should have been voiced seven years ago during the selection process.

It smacks of flavour of the day

10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

There were protests to Beijing being awarded the Olympics several years ago. Again, just because people weren't paying attention doesn't make it disingenous today.

And I was talking specifically about the people protesting on the route.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You're sure? How are you sure? Did you ask them?

I think I pay pretty close attention. Atrocities in China aren't new. But I respect and support the efforts of Olympic athletes, who shouldn't be victimized because the IOC fucked up by selecting China as the host city.

12. Grimace

Grimace Guest

By that same logic you don't know shit either since you didn't ask them.

But you pay pretty close attention. Good for you.

To follow your logic, anyone -- not you of course because you've been paying attention -- who protests since the torch has started on its run is disingenuous, so they should just keep their mouths shut. Because to stand up and say something now is just jumping on the bandwagon.

Oh, and how exactly are the athletes being victimized?

Draft saved Draft deleted