1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Will my friend from south of the border have insurance?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jun 27, 2006.


Will the man who hit me have the required insurance?

  1. Yes, its the law in this state. Newcomers to this state are law abiders

    4 vote(s)
  2. No, you are screwed. Serves you right for bashing immigrants

    19 vote(s)
  1. poindexter

    poindexter Well-Known Member

    Forgive my Sportschick Lifetime Network moment, but I got rear-ended driving home last night on the 10.  Bad bumper damage, nothing else.

    The person who hit me was originally not from the United States.  The law in California is that when you are operating a vehicle, you must have at all times your driver's license, proof of insurance and registration. 

    When we first pulled over, the gentleman, in his fifties and driving an older truck with lots of tools, pulled out an insurance card with no name, no expiration date, etc.  Then an expired insurance card.  But he was still looking and said he had insurance. At that time, the police had come and they took my info.  Policeman said I can go ahead and leave, and gave me a card to get the report in a couple days.  He then went to take the info from the other gentleman and I left.

    Here is the poll question:  When I get the report, will the other gentleman have insurance?
  2. Flying Headbutt

    Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

    Dexter... you just know you aren't getting shit. A card with no name and dates or anything? Just remember, he's here doing a job you don't want to do......

    ...for $3.50 an hour that is.
  3. Freelance Hack

    Freelance Hack Active Member

    Couple years ago, I got hit by a kid in a Hoopty-mobile ('74 Impala, I think). Force of it sent my grill into the trailer hitch of an Explorer.

    My car was the only one with any damage.

    Kid claims he has insurance (which is state law in Kentucky), yet can't produce the card. He eventually goes to court.

    First time, he tells the judge he'll pay my $500 deductible. Judge tells him he has 30 days.

    30 days later, kid tells the same judge that he doesn't have the money. Judge tells him he has to pay me the money in installments. I talk to the county attorney, who'd rather be anywhere else, and he blows me off.

    I ended up getting maybe $200 from the kid. I didn't pursue it anymore because my insurance company ended up writing me a check to cover everything and suing him in return. I'm not sure how it ended up getting resolved.

    Poin, I hope you have great insurance, because it looks like you'll need it.
  4. Ace

    Ace Well-Known Member

    That's why you have insurance, Dexter.

    I'm sure you can also get hit by a lifetime resident of our fair nation who doesn't have insurance if you give it a shot.
  5. slappy4428

    slappy4428 Active Member

    valid point, Ace. Nevertheless, Poindexter's fucked...
  6. Jeff Gluck

    Jeff Gluck Member

    Since you said we could vote for both options, I couldn't resist
  7. Mystery_Meat

    Mystery_Meat Guest

    Me too, and right now those account for the only two yes votes.
  8. poindexter

    poindexter Well-Known Member

    I am running it like a Chicago election.
  9. Herbert Anchovy

    Herbert Anchovy Active Member

    This happened to my boss and the person who caused the accident had no papers, no valid driver's license, no insurance and did not speak a lick of English.

    Getting in any kind of accident with someone like this has always been one of my greatest fears.
  10. Gold

    Gold Active Member

    He might not have insurance, but if you have insurance they should pay for the repairs less the deductible. And if the accident isn't your fault, the insurance company might cover that.

    My wife got hit in our month-old station wagon by a hit-and-run driver. Unfortunately for him, he lost his license plate so were were able to get the information. They got the guy within two hours, and it turned out he was just rushing to pick up his kid from school or day care - he didn't have a criminal record, he just drove like an idiot that day. Anyway, we paid the deductible and then got it refunded.

    Also, if you have a child carseat, the California law says you have to replace that even if there is no damage. That also should be part of the insurance claim.
  11. Flip Wilson

    Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

    My car got rear-ended outside a popular Mexican food restaurant several years ago. The other driver worked there and didn't speak a lick of English. But he had all of his required paperwork with him and was fully insured and the whole process was as painfree as possible.
  12. Hockeyscribe

    Hockeyscribe Member

    My car got rear ended by a born and bred citizen, and though he claimed he had insurance to the cop, he didn't. My insurance company paid for the damage and went after him.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page