1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Who should write a new national anthem?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Spelunker, Jun 4, 2012.

?

Who should write a new national anthem?

1. Bruce Springsteen

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. Dolly Parton

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Stevie Wonder

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Bob Dylan

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. John Williams

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. Jay-Z

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  7. Madonna

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've always thought the Rocky IV version was cool:

As for an American anthem, I vote for Woody Guthrie.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

HC did an awesome version of the anthem that not only wowed the team's owner, but his American-born wife and her family who were visiting from the US (I want to say the game was played the night of the US Thanksgiving). I pushed for her to get the gig after that but they always had someone else to do it.

HC's disgust at the Canadian anthem butchered in an American Idol-type audition performance is what got her the Battalion's occasional anthem gig in the first place.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I must be in the minority here, I've always liked the Star Spangled Banner. When it's the Star Spangled Banner. It is a march, not a pop song.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

A minority of two I guess since that's pretty much what I said. :D

5. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I claimed love of the SSB.

6. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Love the Star Spangled Banner tune, but I think the title should be upgraded. I find the word "spangled" a little bit fruity sounding. Maybe go with "Star Encrusted Banner" instead.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

"Star Bedazzled Banner"

8. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Woody Guthrie already wrote it. It was just never ratified.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I didn't vote for Stevie, but I couldn't agree more. No issues with Jay-Z here, but Stevie and the one who got my vote are leagues ahead.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I voted for Stevie. "You are the Sunshine of My Life" is the greatest song of the last 50 years.

The music to the Star-Spangled Banner was an English drinking song.

America The Beautiful is my choice for the National Anthem. It is not a song based on God, like God Bless America. It works as a poem or a song. It is fairly easy to sing. It speaks to the land and talks of brotherhood and a unified nation.

"My Country Tis of Thee" has the music of the British national anthem - eliminate it from consideration. "Land where my father died" - not all of us and pretty much none of us if we go back enough generations.

"God Bless America" and "This Land is Your Land" (which Woody Guthrie wrote in response to God Bless America are two visions of American around World War II. That's fine, but America the Beautiful speaks to something greater and deeper about our country.

11. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Can we just make "Smoke on the Water" the new anthem?

You're welcome.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"My Country Tis of Thee" is something we sang in second grade, and I never heard it afterward.

Draft saved Draft deleted