1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: What will be the next big newspaper to fold?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 28, 2009.

?

What will be the next big newspaper to fold?

1. SF Chronicle

16 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. Tampa Tribune

16 vote(s)
    13.1%
  3. Seattle PI

65 vote(s)
    53.3%
  4. Miami Herald

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Either Detroit paper

18 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. Other

5 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Two things:

1) Don't assume that we'd all feel the same way in that situation. I've been laid off before. It wouldn't have bothered me to have a newsroom poll with my name on it. We talked about it all the time inside the department.

That being said, on to my next point:

2) The fact that I wouldn't feel the same way doesn't mean I can't show respect for the people who do feel that way by not participating after the complaints.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Well then...

I hope all existing newspapers continue to publish in perpetuity, that they thrive exactly as they currently do and that they're a fine source of news and information and opinion for our great-great-grandchildren.

I hope people can hang on for 45 years with one employer and retire with a gold watch presented at a fancy-schmancy annual banquet.

I hope all our children are above average, that everyone buys American and that no one ever whispers a word to the emperor about, y'know, his new clothes.

Feeling better, are we?

3. agateguy

agateguy Member

I suppose in this market and industry nothing is out of the realm of possibility, but I had not heard anything about Cincinnati being consolidated or folded. Thanks, Mizzou.

4. agateguy

agateguy Member

As I said above, nothing is impossible in this economy and industry.

This greatly concerns me. Mostly because it's very plausible, and I believe that local news and content would get the short stick in the long run.

Draft saved Draft deleted