1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: What does SEC do to Richt/Georgia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HackyMcHack, Oct 28, 2007.

?

Does the SEC office punish Mark Richt or the Georgia program for the celebration following the first

Poll closed Nov 4, 2007.
  1. Nothing at all

29 vote(s)
    72.5%
  2. Fine the school

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Fine Richt

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Suspend Richt one game

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. prhack

prhack Member

There's no doubt that what goes around comes around. Remember 1992, when the Gator players mocked the Georgia crowd and Garrison Hearst after the game by doing the Heisman pose in one of the end zones. How about 1995, when the evil genius went for one more score in Athens because "nobody had ever scored 50 here before." That's the attitude that has pervaded this rivalry ever since Spurrier got to Gainesville, and it all came home to roost on Saturday. Meyer didn't plant those seeds, but he still has to deal with the consequences from time to time. From a UGA perspective, the only sad thing is that Richt & Co. finally had to stoop to UF's level to win one of these things. :)

Look forward to watching Meyer try to run up the score next year ... if he can. I realize that UF will be better next year, just as another poster noted. Thing is, you could say the exact same thing about UGA.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So essentially, it's like second-grade recess: "You did something wrong to me, so I'm going to get you back, nah, nah, nah.

3. prhack

prhack Member

Playing off the second-grade recess analogy, if the choice is continuing to have you nose rubbed in it by the same bully every day or finally standing up and hitting back (ala Ralphie in "A Christmas Story"), I think Ralphie proved that the latter can be effective ;D

The funny thing is that Richt has been criticized by fanboys and journalists alike for not being passionate enough. Some have gone so far as to mock his faith (as if Christians can't get fired up for football). Now he tries something different in an attempt to break a long-running trend, and some would have you believe that he's the second coming of, well, a certain former UF coach who once reveled in such gamesmanship. Guess the old adage is true that you can't please everyone.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

You know, every once in a while, we should remember that it's a goddamn game. Not unlike what we played during second-grade recess. I get so sick of people trying to elevate football (a game I love more than just about anything, by the way) into some sort of character-building morality play or epic battle or something that changes the course of all mankind. Bullshit. It's a game. Have some damn fun with it.

I thought Richt's move was genius. I wish more coaches would play to players' emotions, and coach the game with emotion. Makes it a helluva lot more fun to watch.

Richt took a risk -- a brawl involving 100-some-odd SEC football players could have gotten real ugly real fast. That's my only qualm with the whole thing. Meyer conducted himself with class in defeat. Richt put forth the requisite apology. Georgia got a win its program needed, and we have something to talk about. Isn't that why we watch at all?

6. HoopsMcCann

you're right file...

i like what hondo's favorite columnist, sportsline's clay travis, had to say about it:

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

No.
    I watch because I gamble. Nothing like having money on a game to be suddenly absorbed by it all.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Of course Meyer will try to rub Richt's face in it. But he would, anyway. Anyone see the fourth quarter against Tennessee? Tebow was throwing bombs up by 30 points. They were kicking field goals with a huge lead.

I have to think Richt enjoyed doing this to Meyer. Many other coaches are laughing hysterically about this.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Great Pumpkin's enjoying it, for sure. He despises Urbey.

Turnabout's fair play.

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

What he said.

Have some fun out there. The college game should be loads of fun.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Richt puts it in writing:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2007/10/29/richtletter_1030.html

12. HoopsMcCann

nice follow-up by tony barnhart

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2007/10/30/richtreax_1031.html

Draft saved Draft deleted