1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: What does SEC do to Richt/Georgia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HackyMcHack, Oct 28, 2007.

?

Does the SEC office punish Mark Richt or the Georgia program for the celebration following the first

Poll closed Nov 4, 2007.
  1. Nothing at all

29 vote(s)
    72.5%
  2. Fine the school

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Fine Richt

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Suspend Richt one game

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Personally, I'd have loved to have seen the fallout had the little ploy led to a benches-clearing brawl. Because it very easily could have.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

When you lose 15 of 17 against one of your biggest rivals, that has a way of getting inside your head. Georgia's players have heard little the past two weeks aside from, "Georgia is Florida's bitch." This was Richt's way of telling players on both teams, "we're not going to roll over because of what has happened here the last 17 years."

While we're on the subject, these celebration penalties are fucking ridiculous. What, you're not supposed to be happy when you score a touchdown? Come now. We want athletes to have self control, but do we really want them to be robots?

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I hate individual grandstanding and showboating cuz it's gotten out of hand. But now the pendulum has swung the other way and players can't do squat.

Michigan at Illinois recently. Illinois WR cathches a TD pass (first score of the game) and circles back out of the end zone to start celebrating with his teammates. The closest zebra literally sprints with the kid and is staring him down, step for step, waiting for him to do something.

Get the hell out of his face, asshole. Save your energy for live action so you'll be in position to make the correct call.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Sounds like there will be a new glory-glory moment at the next Dawgs home game.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Vanderbilt's not a crap team.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

This has a pro wrestling whiff to it. I know the economics involved, even in the South, but it's just a football game in October between two Peach Bowl-level teams.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I thought it was a great move by Richt, even if he does get further punishment. Been a long time since I've seen a start to a game that so grabbed your attention and made you watch the whole thing. Also a great move for that rivalry that had become way too one-sided, it sent a message to the Gators that Georgia wouldn't be playing their patsy any longer.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed that the zebras have gone way overboard with the celebration penalties this year. Seems like whenever there's a college football TD this year the zebras snap into Barney Fife mode looking for any reaction they can call. I'm wondering if that might've affected Richt's decision to do this, if they keep getting em called anyways might as well make it good one.

There's a difference between celebration and taunting, something the current college football rules fail to acknowledge. Way too much harmless natural celebration is being penalized this year.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought it was a great moment that'll be remembered for a very long time. A little over the top? Maybe. But that's what the 15-yard penalties (which were called) are for. Throw the flag, take your medicine and move on. I didn't see that part of the game, but did the two flags lead to a Florida score? If so, I'm sure Florida would've rather had that than a fine after the fact.

10. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

UF scored on the next drive, but after a Gator penalty on the KO return, the Gators had it at their own 32 (roughly). So, it really didn't make a difference.

I usually don't like crap like that (the Uga celebration), but I thought it was genius here. I also think it's funny when Urban Meyer costs his team with boneheaded calls.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

spoken like a true ignorant yankee

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted