1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: What does SEC do to Richt/Georgia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HackyMcHack, Oct 28, 2007.

?

Does the SEC office punish Mark Richt or the Georgia program for the celebration following the first

Poll closed Nov 4, 2007.
  1. Nothing at all

29 vote(s)
    72.5%
  2. Fine the school

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Fine Richt

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Suspend Richt one game

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Considering Mike Slive's so-called sportsmanship push, will he take action against Georgia head coach Mark Richt for his team's premeditated field rush following the first touchdown against Florida?

Something tells me that what happened there might set a bad precedent should action not be taken. One can argue that Georgia doesn't win that game if it wasn't for that celebration.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

What happened?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

They were penalized 30 yards on the ensuing kickoff. That's punishment enough.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ditto.

But if they do, Richt should take whatever penalty they give him. That move won them the game. I gots no problem with it. :D

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Penalize them on the field ... and nothing more.

Athens or Jax would be a fun place to be right now.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Please someone, fill me in. I didn't see "that move" and I have no TV to catch it on SC.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

He'll get a phone call, and that will be that. Maybe the SEC office will make sure the public knows he got the call, because Slive won't be happy about a coach telling his players he wants them to get a penalty.

Now, because Richt wanted them to get a celebration penalty, not a personal foul or something that could injure an opponent, Slive won't suspend him or anything like that. Just a phone call, and at the spring meetings the SEC will tell all the coaches, "Don't do that. Please."

But I still say it was awesome, and I usually hate that word.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In other words, expect to see it next Saturday in "hell"

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Georgia scored on its opening drive. As soon as Moreno crossed the goal line, all 70 players on Georgia's bench stormed into the end zone and began jumping up and down -- a celebration that Richt said on CBS was orchestrated. "I told them if they didn't get penalized for their celebration on their first touchdown ... I'd be mad at them."

A second taunting penalty (on Georgia's No. 77?) was added on to the team unsportsmanlike, and the Dogs kicked off from their own 8-yard line.

But, as you can tell by the score, it was well worth it. :D

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. In the mother of all hot tubs.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Thanks, Buck. Sounds like a great motivational ploy by Richt.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed

Draft saved Draft deleted