1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: We'd rather watch regular-season NFL than playoff baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 25, 2009.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's just it. There is a play clock. Absolutely enforced with no exceptions. You dawdle, and you get penalized. So no fucking around tugging at your nuts or stepping out of the box or scattering dirt all over the plate or throwing over to first or shaking off the catcher.

I wish their replay system was as fast and as cut-and-dried as the tennis replay system, but you can't have everything, I guess.

And several teams don't even bother with a huddle anymore.

Count me in the other 25% then.

Betting ATS is like betting on a coin flip. And you cannot beat the vig betting on a coin flip.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've had college football On Ignore for the much better part of 25 years, except the thankfully brief time I was made to cover it. And when I worked desk I know, as God is in heaven, that there were 3.5-hour-plus games, and not just during bowl season or during college football's virtual "preseason" (the first two weeks).

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Last time I give you fantasy baseball advice from the depths of my basement apartment papered with printouts from Baseball Prospectus.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Not even close. Pro football has been by far the most popular U.S. sport in every poll taken since the early '70s -- long before the invention of fantasy football. Don't know what the numbers are now, but if you really believe all (or most of) those people who call themselves NFL fans are fantasy players and/or gamblers, there's a bigger gambling problem in this country than anyone thought. And as someone stated before (too lazy to look up whom), the out-of-sight merchandise sales and ratings and/or demand for ancillary stuff such as the draft and training camp news say there are tons of people out there identifying with teams and/or players outside the gambling or fantasy realm.

Besides, wasn't rotisserie baseball the first fantasy sports game?

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I didn't vote for football because these fuckin' football players don't care about me. Fantasy football? I have some pride. That's a bunch of bullshit. [/ozzie]

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Agree to disagree (except on rotisserie baseball being the first fantasy sports game, that is true). No doubt pro football is more popular now, but I'd be willing to bet (ha! get it? bet? tip your waitress) that a chunk of that merchandising is fantasy-driven and that a whole lot of the obsession over training camp news and the like is fantasy-driven. People start thinking of their drafts in April.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you get the Phillies and Angels in the WS, some of those scores might resemble a football game with the ineptitude of the pitching. I'd need at least a two-touchdown lead before I gave the ball to Brad Lidge.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The cure for gambling is winning.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Seen this sad script before.

10. Crash

Crash Active Member

I'd rather have Cards-Rockies/Braves-Nats on split-screen today than have to watch any of the available NFL games.

Some of that has to do with the fact that I'm a Braves fan, some of it has to do with the fact that I love late-season baseball.

I'll start watching the NFL in January, when it matters.

11. Yes, but you'd rather watch a baseball practice than to have sex, so you're obviously an outlier.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now that is fucking funny.

Imagine his poor wife. No, check that. Nobody would be saintly enough to marry that dude. :D :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted