1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: the best position?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 16, 2006.

?

If you could be the point man in the heat of the moment, which would you want to do?

1. Quarterback walking up to the line of scrimmage

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Pitcher starting a playoff baseball game

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Batter stepping to the plate in the bottom of the 9th, bases loaded, 2 outs, team down by 2 runs

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Jockey at the Kentucky Derby

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Getting to be (filling in for) Boots for the night

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  6. NASCAR driver climbing into a car at the Daytona 500

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. Basketball player stepping to the free throw line of a tied Game 7 with :02 to play

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  8. Golfer at the 18th hole at Augusta, chance to make birdie to win the green jacket

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. cockswain at the Harvard-Yale Regatta.

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. NHL goalie in overtime of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  11. Soccer goalie or shooter on the deciding shot of a World Cup final

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  12. Tennis player serving for championship point in the last set at a grand slam

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Closer coming in to protect a 1-run lead in the deciding game of the World Series

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Absolutely pitcher. It's the only one where you have a modicum of control over what's going on. And as a former h.s. pitcher, the feeling of standing up on that mound, knowing you're about to try to torque your arm out of its socket to blow one by the guy, well, that's pretty much macho satisfaction city right there.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

To add a specific track moment:

I want to be Michael Johnson coming off the turn of the 200 at the '96 Olympics, knowing I am the focus of everyone in the stadium and I'm in the process of destroying the World record.

3. tommyp

tommyp Member

This is the choice I was looking for among the ones listed. Knowing you need to get three outs in a one-run game to capture a title...there's your pressure situation.

Among the choices listed...QB. Birdie putt at the Masters is a close second, as I have a decent putting stroke.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

And blissfully unaware of the ass-whipping I will soon receive from Donovan Bailey during our 150-metre match race at the SkyDome in Toronto. ;D

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'd like to know the feeling of battling Kobayashi dog for dog as the 10th tray of Nathan's finest arrives.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I chose GK in a shootout in the World Cup final, but I'd prefer to be on the other side taking the kick. I've never had a bigger adrenaline rush than when kicking in a PK shootout. The pressure in incredible.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This poll is missing the most obvious answer:

Taking a penalty shot in overtime of a championship game.

And I'm deking, in case you're wondering.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll add one from my experiences:

Strapping onto a bronc in the short round.

Butterflies like crazy.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I don't know which I'd choose. But why isn't tennis player serving for championship point in the last set at a grand slam event listed?

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Scene: The former main school gym, State College U. The scenario: Down by a couple, last seconds of some random intramural game. I take a long inbounds pass at halfcourt, take two dribbles and let go with a long 3-pointer that I get off just before the buzzer. Nothing but net. Pandemoneum -- or as close as you can get in a gym with no spectators and only teammates celebrating. The payoff: A night of Calculus homework.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Actually, I've covered a handful of Yale-Harvard regattas, and although I didn't vote for being a coxswain, it wouldn't be such a bad thing. Visiting the High Top (Harvard) and Gales Ferry (Yale) training camps on the Thames River for the advance stories was always a fun day and covering the race from the officials' little motor boat wasn't so bad, either. Excellent viewing of the race from high-end party boats for Mrs. Cranberry and the other spectators.

Yale boathouse:

[​IMG]

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

For the tennis-minded and lovers of baseball closers, I added them as choices.

Draft saved Draft deleted