1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: the best position?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 16, 2006.

?

If you could be the point man in the heat of the moment, which would you want to do?

1. Quarterback walking up to the line of scrimmage

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Pitcher starting a playoff baseball game

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Batter stepping to the plate in the bottom of the 9th, bases loaded, 2 outs, team down by 2 runs

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Jockey at the Kentucky Derby

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Getting to be (filling in for) Boots for the night

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  6. NASCAR driver climbing into a car at the Daytona 500

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. Basketball player stepping to the free throw line of a tied Game 7 with :02 to play

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  8. Golfer at the 18th hole at Augusta, chance to make birdie to win the green jacket

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. cockswain at the Harvard-Yale Regatta.

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. NHL goalie in overtime of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  11. Soccer goalie or shooter on the deciding shot of a World Cup final

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  12. Tennis player serving for championship point in the last set at a grand slam

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Closer coming in to protect a 1-run lead in the deciding game of the World Series

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I had some major designs on winning that game, which is why I was trying to pass to our best player when the foul occurred.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I was so close to picking "Fill in for boots ... ' then I figured it this way. If you're in most of the other situations and you succeed, you'll have your pick of women that would malke boots jealous. So I stepped to the plate with the bases loaded, two outs in the bottom of the ninth, down two and drove one in the gap for the winning runs.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've never been in that situation. Do you still remember exactly what it was like? Were you trembling like a California quake inside?

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You were down 3, Keep Running!

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yes and no. The game had been going for awhile at that point.

I actually just thought of it tonight while at a game. It wasn't tied, but it was close. The team's best free throw shooter was at the line, and the official actually blew the whistle as the player was shooting. It went in and counted.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'd like to amend my selection to NHL goalie in OT. It's one of the few professions where being considered insane is a good and natural thing and necessary to the craft, sort of like how wearing eye makeup if you're in a band is perfectly acceptable if not encouraged. Not that I ... would ... do ... such ... a ... thing. Um, ah, aww shit.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

One that is understandably not on the list but that just sprung to mind reading Dye's ill-fated attempt at last-second glory: Participating in the final event of a close track and field dual meet. I remember our girls HS track team won the league meet by a point or two when someone won the shot put after everything else had been completed.

In the paper the next day, the coach says "We didn't tell her the meet was riding on her performance because then we wouldn't have won."

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Track brings back memories, too. So we're lining up for a relay, and this other team wants us to win so they can win the meet.

The other team had a guy who was 6'5" and could run. We were lucky if were within 25 yards. Sort of reminds me of the most recent South Park.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As much as my dream was to be a pitcher for the Dodgers in the World Series against Yankees, I'd have to choose walking up to the line of scrimmage, looking over the defense and squatting under center to take the snap and begin a play. But to be honest, I'd love to do all of the examples, and a few others. It actually gave me an idea for a book or screenplay.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

A perfectly run 4x100 relay is a thing of art.

Alas, I was a slow middle distance doof, so we had plenty of time to pass the baton during the 4x800.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Walking up to the line of scrimmage was interesting. Since the other team usually had steroid users [/ragu] who outweighed me by many, many pounds, I had an important decision: Hold or chopblock.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Add a twist to my choice, goalie in OT of Game 7 Stanley Cup final as the visiting goalie.

Draft saved Draft deleted