1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: the best position?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 16, 2006.

?

If you could be the point man in the heat of the moment, which would you want to do?

1. Quarterback walking up to the line of scrimmage

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Pitcher starting a playoff baseball game

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Batter stepping to the plate in the bottom of the 9th, bases loaded, 2 outs, team down by 2 runs

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Jockey at the Kentucky Derby

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Getting to be (filling in for) Boots for the night

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  6. NASCAR driver climbing into a car at the Daytona 500

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. Basketball player stepping to the free throw line of a tied Game 7 with :02 to play

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  8. Golfer at the 18th hole at Augusta, chance to make birdie to win the green jacket

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. cockswain at the Harvard-Yale Regatta.

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. NHL goalie in overtime of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  11. Soccer goalie or shooter on the deciding shot of a World Cup final

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  12. Tennis player serving for championship point in the last set at a grand slam

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Closer coming in to protect a 1-run lead in the deciding game of the World Series

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The overhead camera in tonight's Pitt-West Virginia game provided a unique look at the way a QB walks up to the line of scrimmage. Made me visualize what a rush that must be, then made me wonder about stepping up to the mic in the other sports.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Re: The best position?

I would say the rush from being the starting home pitcher at a playoff game. I can't imagine what the feeling is like when you run out on the field, the fans are going nuts, there is an electricity in the air and your warm pitches have that little extra oomph.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Starting pitcher.

No question.

4. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

You didn't list cockswain at the Harvard-Yale Regatta.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I prefer when the girl is on to... Oh, um, batter in the bottom of the ninth. Ideally work a full count with bases loaded and team down by three, foul off a mess load of pitches, just missing a couple, and then doing what A-Rod, well, can't: come through, breaking something in dead center in the process.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'm surprised the sj sexperts haven't invaded this thread like it was Normandy.

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

We don't want to give away our secrets. With the Comma Suitra, I am a charmion in the bedroom.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

My choice isn't an option: Trotting out to the mound at the start of the ninth inning to close out the clinching game of the World Series.

Specifically, I'd love to be Keith Foulke or Bobby Jenks, trotting out to close out the first World Series championship for their team in almost 90 years. Of course, neither of those guys are deep thinkers, so they probably weren't thinking of the historical ramifcations of the next three outs.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No sports skills. I'll vote for filling in as Boots, WTF.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Guy becomes a full member and all he can think of is Boots.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I dare Mr. Incognito to put this in his tagline.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

How about a cowgirl in her last rodeo?

Draft saved Draft deleted