1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Should Random Thoughts come to an end?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 30, 2007.

?

With more than 10,000 posts, is it time for the latest Random Thoughts thread to go away?

Poll closed May 7, 2007.
  1. Yes. Lock it. It's done. Too much like a chatroom.

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Yes. Delete it. It's a steaming pile of crap.

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Yes. Let's all ignore it.

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Yes. Lock it and start a new one.

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. No. I love it!

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  6. No. If you don't like it, ignore it.

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  7. Who cares?

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  8. Other (please explain)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what's that write? you mean choices are good and stomping like a baby until you get your way because your thread about analingus was locked is bad?

damn you mr. obvious, damn you to hell.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's your opinion, Write. But there are many other ways to chit-chat, which I detailed. There's a good chance you lose possibly good new members when they think all most people do here is chit-chat -- and whether you like to acknowledge it or not, when a serious journo thread gets two pages and a chatroom thread gets over 400, it sends a message about us. And there are only two people here who can have any illusions of control: Webby and Moddy.

And Tom, it was anal intercourse, not analingus. Just trying to keep ya on track.

3. It's a place for journalists to congregate. What's wrong with that? A huge thread on fantasy football isn't necessarily journalism either.

Like I said, my favorite part are the journalism topics, but there's not always a lot going on ... especially for those of us who already know it all ;D

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

now dools, to be fair, just because you think something is serious doesn't mean the rest of us do. also, the internet-loving society visits web sites because they make it easier to accomplish tasks, not more difficult.

as far as ass intercourse goes, yeah, i know, my bad. did it on purpose.

5. dooley_womack1

I've said my peace. Now on to more important stuff. TP, if you change that sidesaddle, I'll kill you.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was just trying to have a discussion, not be a dick dools. i hope you know that.

also, thanks. i thought i'd break the side saddle out and share it with the day crew for the first time ... but, an fyi, it is like a nice suit; you only can bring it out so often or it gets kinda "blah."

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Isn't this why the board is divided up into four sub-boards (or whatever the official message board terms are)? They are all very clearly defined and you know what you're going to get on each one. You say, "When a serious journo thread gets two pages and a chatroom thread gets over 400, it sends a message about us." But to whom does that send a message to besides other journalists? Clearly, people who aren't journalists visit the site, but most of us here are journalists. Sometimes we want to have a little fun, which is what RT provides. There are also serious discussions on the Journalism board that get severely jacked and end up full of butt sex jokes. What does that say?

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't see why "Random Thoughts" should come to an end. What does it hurt having it on the board? And more importantly, who does it hurt?

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Does having a thread with that many replies hurt the bandwidth?

I don't think I've ever been on that thread, so it really doesn't matter to me.

But it might be good to start one anew every so many pages, just like we do with the baseball threads.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I always thought that if you had too much bandwidth, you should build a wider stage.

(We'll be here all week.)

11. dooley_womack1

Or get skinnier band members

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Random Thoughts is usually mildly entertaining, occasionally it's brilliant and sometimes it's useless crap such as found on other, lesser message boards. It's real far from being the best thing about this site, but I think nuking a thread in response to a prolonged tantrum by one poster would be a dangerous precedent. Random Thoughts may not elevate the level of discussion around these parts, but a chorus of whining posters begging for threads they don't like to be nuked would be even worse.

I think the Old West ethic of mind your own business is in order here. Por ejemplo, I hate NASCAR, golf, American Idol, fantasy sports and many other things discussed with enthusiasm on some threads. I don't click on 'em. Works for me. Happy Slovenian Oboists and Pastry Chefs' Union Founding Day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.