1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Should Random Thoughts come to an end?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 30, 2007.

?

With more than 10,000 posts, is it time for the latest Random Thoughts thread to go away?

Poll closed May 7, 2007.
  1. Yes. Lock it. It's done. Too much like a chatroom.

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Yes. Delete it. It's a steaming pile of crap.

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Yes. Let's all ignore it.

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Yes. Lock it and start a new one.

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. No. I love it!

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  6. No. If you don't like it, ignore it.

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  7. Who cares?

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  8. Other (please explain)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

The Seinfeld of threads. Except that here, even George wins one occasionally.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it's not going to go bye-bye either.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

What's up with these cute little, "Have a happy wipe your ass day," comments that everyone keeps dropping?

EDIT: Found the answer in the "Update Bubbler" thread.

And why the hell is there a Hilary 2008 ad on the bottom of my page?

And what's the deal with airline food?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Big burly catcher hits the only triple of his career. It takes him 2 days to get from home to 3rd base. Then the coach decides to try a suicide squeeze: batter pops to pitcher, who throws to 3rd baseman for inning-ending double play. Smart move, skip.

5. Here's my take:

My favorite part of this board are the journalism topics. That said, Random Thoughts is cool because it gives me an excuse to talk to others on this board without being limited to the confines of a particular issue (and then run the risk of pissing someone off). To dismiss it as a chatroom is unfair. It's more than that. It's a place where I can get quick answers about the board, learn a little about someone else's job or state and most importantly get to know other reporters on a personal level, other than what they expect from a minority hire.

I'm not sure why you would solicit opinions from people who don't post there. Nor do I understand why you would listen to someone who is constantly trying to get it shut down because he has a small penis. But you're the moderator.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, you can say, "hey, how ya doing? I just got done drinking and boy am I bombed," or "boy, do I have long day tomorrow" on AIM, on Yahoo Messenger, on MSN Messenger, in PMs, in e-mails, by carrier pigeon, etc., etc.

A lot of the animus toward a chat-room thread is based on the concept that the board can be an important place for people to come here sports dialogue and journalism dialogue, that yes, things will get silly sometimes, but the point has been for it to creative silly, literate silly. Mundane silly can be seen as perhaps reducing the appeal. And when you're talking about new visitors, the hell they're not gonna click on the 400-page behemoth.

And let's be honest, the first chatroom thread, where a few people basically told a bunch of other people to fuck off, didn't leave a good taste in the mouths of many.

Just offering a possible explanation for why this may be an issue to some.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, let's see ... thread drives traffic and keeps members on topic while posting on serious threads. well fuck yes, i see every reason to pull the plug on it.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, part of the charm of the place is the interesting places threadjacks go. Staying on topic isn't always a virtue.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I just asked for opinions. I don't have time to compose a list of people who post on Random Thoughts so I can PM them and only them. I figured if people aren't interested in the thread, they won't vote in the poll. As for me being a moderator: Yes, I am. But anyone can start a thread, and anyone can start a poll. Including me.

Oh, and Tom, I'm just clarifying what I've said and what I haven't said.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shhhhhh, we don't want someone to hear you.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dammit dude, not so loud. statements like that lead to the mcgwire hof poll thread.

12. Actually, quite a few of us frequent posters on Random Thoughts are relatively new. I found it very helpful learning about others on here and how the site works.

I wasn't here for the first site so I'm not familiar with all the old-timers' bad blood and pet peeves but it does feel like someone or some clique is trying to settle some score.

If you don't like a newspaper, don't read it. If you don't like a TV show, don't watch it. If you don't like the radio station don't dial in. And if you don't like the RT thread don't click on it. A bunch of journalists should understand this and probably do ... unless they're just trying to exert control ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.