1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Should Penn State Suspend Its Football Program?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Jul 4, 2012.

?

Should Penn State Suspend Its Football Program?

1. No.

69 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. Maybe. But I haven't seen a convincing argument for doing so.

16 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. Maybe. Briefly. Symbolically. As an act of community.

12 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. Yes. Until the conclusion of all investigations.

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Yes. Indefinitely.

35 vote(s)
    24.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

It takes away a toy.
    A toy they have shown they can't handle.
    It also takes away the opportunity for 106,000 people to jump around a stadium every other Saturday like nothing ever happened.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Precisely.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

OK.

Then it's to make you feel better.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It would be a "tragedy" to that particular community. But that's kinda the point.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I feel fine. I'm not a delusional college football fanboy whose priorities are frighteningly out of whack.

6. jr/shotglass

Good. Then you don't need to punish.

Take a walk. Go see a movie. Pet your dog. Find a group of people and name-call.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Boom.

This.

You don't kill the program, you just rip out the whole legacy of the Paterno regime, throw it on the floor and crush it. Nobody who had anything to do with it whatsoever can have any official connection with the program from here on out. Not as a coach, not as an assistant AD, not as a trustee, not as alumni group directors, not as a SID, not as nothin.'

They can still buy tickets and sit in the stands ... but that's it. Period.

All the murals come down, all the glossy pages in the media guides. The records stay in there but no elaboration. The entire period 1965-2011 is just gray white pages.

PSU may cry that alumni forcibly ripped out of the program won't support the university any more. If so, so be it.

Those who support the UNIVERSITY will keep coming. Those who were wrapped up in the cult of one person probably won't.

And if anybody tries to tiptoe around the ban and sneak back into the program -- THEN you're talking Death Penalty. For 10 years.

8. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I don't have any stake in what happens.
    Let me ask you something.
    Why should Penn State be cheered?
    For anything?
    On any random Saturday this fall?

9. jr/shotglass

Because people want to. People who didn't do anything wrong. People who are just there to see a football game.

Rooting for fourth-year junior wideout Christian Kuntz, a 20-year-old kid from Shiremanstown, Pa., who was a 4.2 GPA in high school -- that has no plausible connection with rooting for child molestation.

That simple.

But, you said you don't have any stake in what happens. Nobody here really does, as far as I can tell.

So why is everyone trying so hard? Let the damn thing play out. A seventh or eighth thread in which we bash each other is not going to change a thing.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

People who apparently have no memory or shame.

11. jr/shotglass

I can't discuss this with you. You've reached the point where you're just lashing out without trying to advance the discourse.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not sure he "reached" that point so much as never advanced beyond it. For many it's more of a starting point, indeed it was my starting point when this story first broke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.