1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Should Penn State Suspend Its Football Program?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Jul 4, 2012.

?

Should Penn State Suspend Its Football Program?

1. No.

69 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. Maybe. But I haven't seen a convincing argument for doing so.

16 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. Maybe. Briefly. Symbolically. As an act of community.

12 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. Yes. Until the conclusion of all investigations.

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Yes. Indefinitely.

35 vote(s)
    24.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Sorry, but that doesn't even come close to being as bad (and offensive) as like 15 things Mark has posted on this site.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If you all want to judge posts, we can judge posts. Would seem like you'd have better things to do, like protecting the countryside.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What does that have to do with the First Amendment?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I see we've reached the portion of the program where Shotty has now devolved into a Royal Tennenbaum-like figure, smoking cigarettes in his bathrobe and babbling with anger at Danny Glover. (That's either you or me, Bubbs. Can't decide.)

"You wanna judge posts! We can judge some posts!"

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Ignoring me has taken on a whole new dimension, I see.

Well, I guess if I can't stop editing my posts, you can keep coming back at me. Fair enough.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Biggest surprise in this whole thread? Stoney has no connection to Penn State or the state of Pennsylvania.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Paterno family will conduct its own investigation:

http://triblive.com/news/2214046-74/freeh-paterno-paternos-review-spanier-statement-report-sandusky-university-state

A. Who's going to talk to them? I'd love to see a lawyer for the Paterno family try to contact anyone remotely connected to one of the victims.

B. Maybe they can write O.J. in jail and get some pointers on conducting their own investigations.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think it will come to that. But I do wonder what Spanier, Schultz and Curley might say or do. One of them could fall on the sword for the sake of St. Joe - figure they are already about as vilified as they could be anyway and then they would never have to buy a drink in State College ever again.
    Aside from the revelation that he knew about 1998, it does seem that all of the evidence that damns Paterno is second-hand through the three others.
    Or they could bury him by saying they acted (or didn't act) in accordance to his wishes.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yeah, considering that they're facing likely criminal prosecution, I doubt that's gonna happen. Not many drinks bought for inmates. I think the more likely scenario is tossing Joe under the bus and moving away from State College in shame at the first opportunity.

10. I'd like to meet that moron; the fool who would fall on his sword for a disgraced legend. The only way that happens would be if the Paterno family coughed up enough money to make it worth their while. I don't see the Paternos having that much money.
    And, remember two of those three names were shooed from JoePa's door when the went to collect his resignation. Doubt there's a lot of love for the fallen idol.
    As several pointed out before, they will willingly shovel as much shit as they can on JoePa's grave.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interesting arguments for and against shutting down the program here:

www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/07/16/should-the-ncaa-punish-penn-state/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.