1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Should Penn State Suspend Its Football Program?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Jul 4, 2012.

?

Should Penn State Suspend Its Football Program?

1. No.

69 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. Maybe. But I haven't seen a convincing argument for doing so.

16 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. Maybe. Briefly. Symbolically. As an act of community.

12 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. Yes. Until the conclusion of all investigations.

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Yes. Indefinitely.

35 vote(s)
    24.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Undergraduates: 38,594 University Park, 32,295 Commonwealth Campuses, 6,290 PA College of Tech, 4,634 World Campus.

77,179 total.

And they're all there for the football program.

That's one hell of a football program.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not serious.

But if mouth-breathing idiots like Hokie continue to suggest the right thing to do is to kill Penn State's football program for harboring a pedophile, I'm going to point out that the cover-up extended to the president's office so under their logic the university needs to be shut down too.

Punish the people responsible to the fullest extent of the law. If NCAA violations are found to have occured, hammer the football program and/or athletic department.

Useless feel-good bullshit doesn't fix anything.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And the university president just got shitcanned for covering up child rape to protect the football program.

I get that it's not a community college. Priorities are still out of whack.

4. jr/shotglass

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Be it resolved:

Nothing short of suspending the program for a year or two is gonna show the world that Penn State has the perspective needed to continue to have a major college football team.

6. jr/shotglass

On a message board where idealism and grand, fruitless gestures are condoned and even admired by each other, the early poll returns indicate that there is no real groundswell to champion the death penalty.

What do you think the ratio might be out in the general population?

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

You don't kill the program. That's cutting off the nose to save the face. Its just stupid. Then you are punishing student athletes who had nothing to do with Sandusky, who had not even been on the coaching staff in more than a decade.

You instead clean house completely -- get rid of everybody whoever had anything to do with the football program -- coaches scouts, etc. not players. Grit your teeth for the impending civil case and start over from scratch with new safeguards and checks and measures. Hell it will probably be the cash flow that the football team will continue to bring in that saves many of the academic courses or programs as well as athletic programs from the chopping block after the civil cases go through.

8. jr/shotglass

A money-making football program is just the sort of travesty with which we shall put up with not, Beef.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What if the nose has cancer?

10. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

"Maybe. Briefly. Symbolically. As an act of community."

What the f@@k does this mean?

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Man, nothing ignites this place like a Penn State thread. Doesn't even matter why, nor how many times the identical debate has been repeated, just create any thread with the words Penn St. and you can bet on at least 20 pages soon to follow.

The reasons why I strongly believe it should not be shut down are duly noted on the other thread, I haven't the energy to do this again...

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not sure.

Suspend the program two games with the agreement of the community? Put it to a referendum? Forfeit a bowl appearance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.