1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Should Penn State Suspend Its Football Program?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Jul 4, 2012.

?

Should Penn State Suspend Its Football Program?

1. No.

69 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. Maybe. But I haven't seen a convincing argument for doing so.

16 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. Maybe. Briefly. Symbolically. As an act of community.

12 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. Yes. Until the conclusion of all investigations.

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Yes. Indefinitely.

35 vote(s)
    24.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Re-posted from the previous thread:

People who spent years deifying megalomanic football coach should not in bear any guilt or suffer financially for his dictatorial cowardice, say people who spent years deifying megalomanic charlatan football coach.

Spring practice report on Page C1.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Jesus, are we really gonna rehash all this on a new thread? As long as DD's lifting his arguments from the other thread, perhaps everyone should to save time and avoid re-doing the whole dance yet again.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Maybe you should start a thread with a poll surveying whether or not this thread is necessary.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No, Penn State does not need to suspend its football program. Doing that will not help anyone and will hurt a large number of people.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Given that the president of the university was involved the right thing to do is close the university down for at least a decade.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And sticky it!

Tho I do get the point that a lot of stuff will be rehashed, having a sense of the board on the issue seems harmless.

7. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Who are you kidding? The president worked for Joe Pa was JoePa's bitch and everyone knew it.

8. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

I hope you're not serious. That's like saying the federal government should have been shut down after Watergate because Nixon was involved.

What happens to all the people who work for, with and around PSU when you shut down a university of that size? How about the students? The researchers and their projects? Would you punish all of them for the sins a handful?

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

It really, really isn't.

That's going to the top of the Worst Simile of All Time list.

10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I don't know that they should suspend the football program, but I get tired of the "the players didn't do anything wrong" argument.

The team consists of more than individual players, and the program consists of a lot of other people (boosters, administrators, etc...). Part of being a member of a team or a program like that is that you sometimes have to pay for other people's mistakes.

Even one or two bad apples can mean consequences for the whole. That's just the way the world works.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I voted yes on the suspension, and I don't think the people arguing against this "punishment" quite get the reasoning. Suspending the football program wouldn't be about punishment. It would be a way to sort of recalibrate the priorities of the university.

Penn State should be a university that has a football team. This whole incident -- and the reaction in State College -- suggests it has become dangerously close to being a football program that also offered degrees. It's hardly unique in that regard, but the damage from that mindset is greater at Penn State than we've seen anywhere else.

A vacation from football for a few years would hardly be a tragedy for the community.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And this is why I only read the Penn State threads once every couple of weeks, if at all. SSDD, no matter what happens.

That said, inevitably there will be comparisons to SMU getting the death penalty. The difference, though, is that despite the warnings, there was no change. As has been noted, Sandusky's gonna spend the rest of his life at the Greybar Hotel. Regime change atop the university. Joe Pa out as coach. I'm not sure what suspending football would accomplish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.