1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll on ESPN; Which sport is facing the biggest crisis?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by expendable, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Umpires and the strike zone, football refs calling bad penalties(holding).....

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I agree Chuck. With television and the small stage of a basketball court, it would seem that basketball would be the hardest to influence. I hope this goes only as deep as the one incident, but I fear it doesn't.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The NBA - but the crisis is mitigated by the general suckitude of the league's officiating overall.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The NFL with Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson and now Michael "Ookie" Vick would be the league more in crisis to me.

The NBA fixing games? No shock there. Remember the Jordan Rules?

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

That's the thing, though. Terrible refing in the NBA is rampant. That's one of the worst things about watching the NBA (at least in the playoffs, when it actually matters). So now will every bad call be suspect?

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

The bad behavior in the NFL is, well, pretty bad. But you can solve that put instituting harsh penalties or kick the ungrateful fools right out. But this thing with the NBA referees? This completely undermines the legitimacy of the game. I just hope this is limited to the one referee. If not, we might have something that will rival the Black Sox Scandal, and Mr. Stern, I don't see Babe Ruth walking through that door anytime soon.

Mr. Weaver? Will a Mr. Buck Weaver please pick up the white courtesy phone?

7. Chuck~Taylor

The NFL will NEVER die. Ever.
    You truly think the fans care about what Pacman Jones does in the club? Because they really don't. Fans are gonna come out to see the product. And this product is a very good one.

And of course no one over here on this site is even going to mention baseball in this discussion ::)

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Another one might be the one (tellingly) not mentioned.

NHL — Indifference.

9. Chuck~Taylor

I guarantee you some one will come over here and enlighten us on how the friggin NHL is doing better than the NBA.

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I assume you aren't putting Rose on the same level as the Black Sox. They aren't remotely comparable.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Did I miss something? When did we decide that dogfighting was a sport?

It's cruelty.

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I was wondering if someone would mention the general public's indifference to the NHL as a crisis. However, I don't think that's on a par with game-fixing in the NBA, a league I never watch anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted