1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll on ESPN; Which sport is facing the biggest crisis?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by expendable, Jul 20, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I hate to take a lead from ESPN, but there is a good poll question on the website right now.

Which sport is currently facing the biggest crisis?

NFL -- Dogfighting?
    NBA -- Referee misconduct?
    MLB -- Steroids?

Steroids is in the lead, but I feel it's the NBA. Can't go fooling around with wins and losses, which is just what the NBA is facing right now. Everything else is either off the field or by players trying to gain a competitive edge and our tolerance of it.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The NBA cheating has me more concerned than any of the others.

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

No question this is now the NBA, fixing games is the worst thing that could happen to a sport because fans will not trust the outcome of the sport.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Now it has to be the NBA. It's taking the integreity and honesty of the sport into question. Now who knows which games were thrown that he officiated.

The other stuff is just a black eye. Even steroid don't compare with point shaving and officials betting.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Has to be the NBA. Every game Tim Donaghy has officiated is in question, every outcome.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I know it's a fan opinion and doesn't count for much, but if there were a fix in, don't NBA officials seem much more likely to be involved?

7. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Game-fixing/point shaving issues trump all else on the sports crisis meter. Fans can tolerate thugs and druggie more easily than the perception that the games aren't legit.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It's never made a difference in pro wrestling.

Until these athletes are actually f-ing fans' wives or burglarizing their home, nothing will stop most of them from being fans.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

NBA unquestionably.

10. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Weak analogy. Has pro wrestling ever been percieved by the mainstream public as a legitimate sport? Certainly not in my lifetime. Pro wrestling fans go in with the pre-existing understanding that it's just for drama and not real, so nobody's gonna feel defrauded to learn that its fake. They already knew that.

11. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The standards for homoerotic performance art should be HIGHER damnit

12. boots

boots New Member

It's the NBA without a doubt. Having a ref go down for allegedly fixing games isn't good.

Draft saved Draft deleted