1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: NIT men or NCAA women?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Mar 21, 2007.

?

All things being equal, which is more important from a coverage standpoint?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2007.
  1. Men's team in NIT semifinals

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Women's team in NCAA Sweet 16

28 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Split the difference

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Lively discussion hereabouts on this issue. We've got one of each.

The way I see it, one of these teams is still in line for a visit to the White House.

The other, not so much -- but they still draw a hell of a crowd, which the women's team does not.

Thoughts?

2. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

Definitely the women. The NITs are sort of embarassing, especially if you're someone like Syracuse.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'm not exactly sure that's a selling point.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If the men's team draws the bigger crowd, then I say play up its game. Especially if the women's team barely draws anything.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Package the two together with the best art from wherever. The two are probably equal -- one has fan interest, one has success.

6. HejiraHenry

This isn't entirtely a packaging question ... it's a ($) budgeting question, too.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And d) has interest in either waned or increased in the last month -- do more people care about the women now than in February, and are the men's fans following half-heartedly and thinking more about spring football and baseball? Specious questions, I know, but that's all I got.

8. I would go with NCAA Women.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can't answer that for sure. But I think of where I went to school and, knowing that local paper, a writer unquestionably gets sent to cover the NIT men while the women in the Sweet 16 maybe don't get one if they're out west. Not saying it's right, but the attendance difference is 15,000 to 1,500. That's tough to ignore.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Pick the ladies, and not just because it's my alma mater.

The other school had its chance to make the real tournament and didn't. And I'm guessing where the women are playing is a much cheaper trip than NYC.

11. HejiraHenry

Yeah, you can make three round trips driving to Dayton for about the cost of one NYC trip.

It's not an either/or proposition. Just kicking it around.

12. Taylee

Taylee Member

The most successful women's program, UConn, drew 6,824 for its first round NCAA tournament game and 7,257 for the second round doubleheader. Those games were in Hartford, about 28 miles away from the Storrs campus.

Syracuse had more than 23,000 at its NIT game, K-State sold out its NIT games, even West Virginia had about 12,000 at each game.

Unless there is a local angle to the otherwise, the masses have spoken ... and it's the NIT.

Draft saved Draft deleted