1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Inspired by "Heroes": Where will newspapers be in five years?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 3, 2007.

?

Where will newspapers be in five years?

1. Thriving under a new generation of management

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Dying on the vine

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. sending many talented people to PR

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Sending many talented people to grad school

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Sending untalented people to lamentation

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Continuing to survive, just like now

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  7. Eliminated completely by Sylar's censorship

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (please explain)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. Damn, Rasputin . . .ENOUGH with the doom and gloom!

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Cuts at the LA Times. Cuts at the Sentinel in Orlando. Cuts at the Baltimore SUn. Cuts at the Dallas Morning News last year.

Sobering times. Thanks in advance for responses.

(Yes, I know this thread gets done every few weeks now. The twist is this time . . it's a POLL! ).

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I voted for "Continuing to survive." If I thought I wouldn't have a job in five years, I wouldn't be doing this.

3. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

People ages 40-65 form the core circulation of most papers these days, I presume. A great share will continue subscribing for 20-plus years, albeit with some slippage.
    Meanwhile, more news goes online.
    How is that paid for?
    Newspapers are going to have to get smart like Google and Yahoo and MySpace about how to make money off advertising and marketing online.

Perhaps the future model of newsgathering media in cities are nonprofit trusts somewhat similar to St. Pete. No shareholder profit pressure, etc.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i haven't voted yet, because my initial response was "sending many talented people to pr." then i remembered, the pr field already is flooded with folks looking for work, too.

maybe i'll vote that an ice age will take folks like us out of our misery.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I wish this to stop.
    I'm tired of people in industry looking at Dean Singleton for guidance or vision.
    He is a pillager. He ruins community trusts, kills newspapers and ruins lives. His products, with a couple of exceptions, are a collections of wire reports with local government and prep sports.
    It may work in the short term, and he will make his money.
    But, as the years move forward, there are less reporters, less editors and less quality. And, his product parabola isn't a new phenomenon. He's been doing it for 25 years.
    Let's look for guidance and vision. But, let's look elsewhere.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I have no idea where we'll be in five years, though I suspect we'll be still having this same discussion, but I do know for a fact that I was sure that a journalism topics thread would never be inspired by Heroes.

7. scalper

scalper Member

circulation and ad revenue further down.
    layoffs and buyouts up.
    smaller staffs in general.
    less travel in sports.
    shorter story lengths.
    less quality overall, that will go largely unnoticed.
    and arrogant, stupid local tv people laughing at us for being so dumb and naive as to stay in this dying business as long as we have. we've had only had, what, 20 years to see this coming?

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Most of us will still be working. The bleeding has to end sometime. I still see people at bus stops reading papers every morning. A lot read on the internet. But reading the morning paper before work is just a part of so many people's lives, I don't think it will completely disappear.

Draft saved Draft deleted