1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll for SEs and assistant SEs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Aug 30, 2006.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Regardless of what description fits your present work, would you rather:

1) be the desk guy who puts it all together in a trenches approach?

2) as opposed to being in the trenches, be the visible person, the face and vision of the paper who does a regular column and if any desk stuff, minimal at best?

I debated making this a poll, but it's the commentary rather than the numbers that I thought would be most interesting (OK, so you can do both in a poll, so I'm arguing with myself!)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd rather be the guy who works with writers, assigns stories and such and doesn't have to work till 1 a.m.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'd rather get things organized, write a little bit when I find something worthwhile, do some copy editing, design 1-2 days a week and basically be involved in a lot of things to make the sports section a solid one.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'll vote for that.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Take away the writing and it's my dream job.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think the "write a little bit when I find something worthwhile" part would cover that. If it isn't something that really interests you, assign it to someone else.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I like being the visible person. maybe a column a week or so with stories mixed in every now and then. but also remain very hands on.

8. Stupid

Stupid Member

Be visible, write a lot and do layout. I wouldn't want to handle rec stuff, local briefs, etc. i just don't see how an SE can function properly if he never leaves the desk.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i'm not that big on being visible -- i could care less who recognizes me in public -- but I do enjoy writing enterprise, features and columns.
    I also like planning and developing projects.
    That said, I try to do my part when it comes to the bullshit stuff because I don't want my staff thinking I'm above doing the crap that I have to assign them.
    That's what works for me.

10. Option 2 would be my ultimate dream. Right now, my discription is more like Option 1.
    Part of me does like being in the trenches. I've been at a place where the SE didn't do shit and wouldn't dare touch a page (or edit, for that matter). He basically spent weeks away, looking for any reason to travel on the company's dime. In the process, he alienated everyone in the sports department. For me, I like being in the trenches because I'm going through the same things as the other reporters, so I can relate to them better.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, your job is much like your penis?

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Kinda. Cause I want to be firm, yet fun for those around me.

Draft saved Draft deleted