1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll for Men Only Please: Oprah

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Dec 11, 2007.

?

Which of the following best describes your feelings about Oprah?

1. I feel about Oprah much the way Ted Kaczynski felt about modern technology.

7 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. I rarely use the word 'hatred' about people I don't know, but in her case I'll make an exception.

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Find her annoying as hell.

20 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. She doesn't bother me, but I wish she'd shut her fucking trap.

17 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. I don't give a shit about Oprah.

26 vote(s)
    18.4%
  6. Ambivalent.

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Her show's not my thing, but she's done a lot of good.

39 vote(s)
    27.7%
  8. Like her.

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. I rarely use the word 'love' about people I don't know, but her in case, I'll make an exception.

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. I feel about her much the way Gosling felt about McAdams in [i]The Notebook.[/i]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why would you hate either of them? Jeez. If Julia or Oprah stole your ID, fine, hate them.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She helped promote a plague worse than Grasshoppers, Locusts and famine on the American society... for that, I will neither forgive or forget.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not my thing, but lord have mercy some folks love her lots.

I respect that, as she doesn't seem to be doing any harm, maybe even some good.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What would that plague be? (And no, Albom was big, ironically speaking, long before Oprah).

I myself do not watch her show, buy her books or receive her gifts, or really care too much about her either way. I'm just always fascinated by irrational hatred.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

In 1988, Winfrey began Oprah's Angel Network, a charity aimed at encouraging people around the world to make a difference in the lives of underprivileged others. Accordingly, Oprah's Angel Network supports charitable projects and provides grants to nonprofit organizations around the world that share this vision. To date, Oprah's Angel Network has raised more than $51,000,000. Winfrey personally covers all administrative costs associated with the charity, so 100% of all funds raised go to charity programs.

Although Winfrey's show is known for raising money through her public charity and the cars and gifts she gives away on TV are often donated by corporations in exchange for publicity, behind the scenes Winfrey personally donates more of her own money to charity than any other show-business celebrity in America. In 2005 she became the first black person listed by Business Week as one of America's top 50 most generous philanthropists, having given an estimated $303 million.

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Oprah asked her viewers to open their hearts—and they did. As of September 2006, donations to the Oprah Angel Network Katrina registry total more than $11 million. Homes have been built in four states—Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama—before the one year anniversary of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Winfrey also matched her viewers' donations by personally giving $10 million to the cause.

Winfrey has also put 250 African-American men through college.

Winfrey invested $40 million and much of her time establishing the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls near Johannesburg in South Africa. The school opened in January, 2007. Nelson Mandela praised Winfrey for overcoming her own disadvantaged youth to become a benefactor for others and for investing in the future of South Africa.

Yeah, you're right -- what's Oprah ever done to deserve accolades? Jeezus.

If her show isn't your cup of tea, fine. But some of the hatred expressed on this thread is absolutely unbelievable. How can anybody feel that strongly against someone who's done as much good as she has? Somebody on here said she's all about Oprah. Are you kidding? She's spent hundreds of millions of dollars on other people. I mean, are you kidding?

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was 90 percent joking. But her endorsement doesn't ever do much for me. Maybe it's because I hate Toni Morrison novels. :)

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Touch 'em all, Joe. You'll never hit a bigger one!

8. standman

standman Member

Don't give a shit except when she talks about two things:

Kids and marriage. Tell me how to raise my kids when you do it yourself (without excessive help from a nanny) and tell me about marriage when you get hitched. When she brings up either topic, it really annoys me.

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Cannot help but agree. Really don't understand teh hate. And someone on this board actually said she was in hell a spot below Rosie O'Donnell - that I most definitely do not understand!

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Yes Joe run 'em backwards, it was that deep of a shot!

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't mind Oprah. Calling her "Obese Winfrey" got me a laugh or two when I was 13 or so. Now I still slip sometimes and call her that, even though it's been a long time since her supposed weight fluctuation was all over the tabloids as it was in the late 1980s.

But seriously . . . I used to watch her show with some regularity just a couple years ago. I didn't have cable, and I do think she does some good things for people. I don't like her ass-kissing celebrity interviews (and the way she introduces them, "Mel GibSON!!!!!!" with the loudmouth emphasis on the final syllable). And I am amused by her tendency to jump on celebrity bandwagons - witness the fact the casts of Desperate Housewives and Gray's Anatomy practically lived on her set a couple years ago, and the fact she slipped in the word "va-jay-jay" in dialogue around the time Gray's anatomy used it. I also hate when she puts on "street-talk" like she's trying to be cool "My va-jay-jay is painin'!" when she was doing an on-location bit where she rode in a harness.

I really hate the hype she gives the Anderson Coopers and Lisa Lings of the world; shameless self-promoters, NOT journalists. Especially Cooper. His Katrina report on Oprah included him forgetting to edit out the end of his interview with someone who lost their home: "Turn off the camera . . I can't take this," as his hand goes to wipe his eyes. Really, jerk? This person just lost everything dear to them, and YOU'RE upset because you have to have a conversation with them?

But . . . . . aside from her dealings with celebrities, Oprah does good things and I have no problem with her show. I really liked the one where she and Gayle "I would be nothing if I wasn't Oprah's sycophant" King lived among the people on the PBS reality show about people living in colonial times. And I like the ones where she visits impoverished people, and she also had an interview with Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel at a concentration camp that was absolutely riveting television.

When she has an annoying guest or topic, I watch something else.

So yeah . . . . I voted that she does some great things. I definitely think she's a force for good in the world.

12. If Oprah worked at the GEM saloon in Deadwood - I'd drop $7 each time I visited her.

Obscure?

Draft saved Draft deleted