1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll for Men Only Please: Oprah

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Dec 11, 2007.

?

Which of the following best describes your feelings about Oprah?

1. I feel about Oprah much the way Ted Kaczynski felt about modern technology.

7 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. I rarely use the word 'hatred' about people I don't know, but in her case I'll make an exception.

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Find her annoying as hell.

20 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. She doesn't bother me, but I wish she'd shut her fucking trap.

17 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. I don't give a shit about Oprah.

26 vote(s)
    18.4%
  6. Ambivalent.

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Her show's not my thing, but she's done a lot of good.

39 vote(s)
    27.7%
  8. Like her.

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. I rarely use the word 'love' about people I don't know, but her in case, I'll make an exception.

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. I feel about her much the way Gosling felt about McAdams in [i]The Notebook.[/i]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But to call it racism and misogyny? Sorry, it is not racism to hate just one person. Nor is it misogyny. That is a tremendous and unfair leap to say that it is either of those things.

I don't hate Oprah. I voted ambivalent. Some of the crap she pulled for ratings bothers me. Like when she was crashing weddings and thinking it was ok because she brought a nice gift.

She seems to have this attitude that she can do whatever she wants because of her success. That doesn't make me hate her, but I sure as heck don't like her, either.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Ambivalence: uncertainty caused by coexistence of positive and negative thoughts

Don't give a shit: no thoughts at all

---------------

As for how I feel about Oprah, I will channel the sports editor from my college paper: "Oh God, don't care!"

She's done some good, but she also helped foist Albom books and Dr. Phil on the world.

Advantage? Push. There are no winners here.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Cute bird, Pallister.

And I'm not saying all or even most of the critics of Oprah show the traits I've ascribed, but a lot of those things do crop up when Oprah is criticized, and a lot of the vehemence that Zeke mentioned can be ascribed to that. She's a she that's black and successful and no shrinking violet....in other words, the antichrist to many folk.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Some of my best friends are vocal black successful females.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I easily give Oprah credit for all she's done and the example she's set, even if I don't always agree with that example. I can respect someone even if I don't like them...kinda the way I felt about Pete Rose during his '70s playing days.

I really dislike her show, though.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Squawk!

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I think it's awesome that a poll for men has an option invoking The Notebook. :D

8. dooley_womack1

I had no idea what that Notebook thing meant, so I just nodded and moved on.

And I said the bird was cute, not that it was particularly relevant to anything.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

looks like I voted with the majority - not my thing, but she's done alot of good.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A wart of the ass of society...

11. dooley_womack1

But we love ya anyway.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Amazing how you absolutely cannot dislike a minority or women in American society today without being labeled.

Hate Julia Roberts? Perfectly acceptable. Hate Oprah By God Winfrey? You're a racist.

What a bunch of fucking bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted