1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll finds 40 percent of sports reporters gamble on sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by As The Crow Flies, Sep 2, 2009.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I'd bet 10 bucks that 40% figure is a tad high.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Can I tease it down a couple points?

RB

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not convinced the gambling numbers of the sports reporter population are greater than Joe Sixpack sports fans. No way. Many more fans think it's a beatable game than reporters, who see crazy sh*t week after week and know better. Or they learn to know better after a dalliance with gambling in their young'un days, when they didn't have a mortgage and a kid and figured sports betting was a good 401(k). Not that I knew anyone like that.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

NICE!

God, I love football season, mainly for fantasy football and gambling purposes. Always have. Always will.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

93% were satisfied with their job; and 74% believed they had a good job future.
    I'd bet $100 these two stats are incredibly inaccurate and destroy any credibility the polls might have.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

4) Does this include fill in the grid and be assigned random squares?

I mean, technically, I gamble. I play squares, I have, on occasion, run press pools -- including a pick-team and spread, one-person per number pool one year for a Michigan-Duke game in the Fab Five era that had people picking Duke by 22 just so they could get in on action. And I run an NCAA tourney pool that people here have participated in.
    So yeah, in that aspect I gamble.
    Do I use a bookie? I can count the number of times on one hand... with fingers left over.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's my point, slappy. I've never placed a bet with a bookie, never bet on an NFL game, etc. I've played media center pools on NASCAR (pick the top 3 racers, lowest total points wins) and played NCAA pools and bet on horse races. Don't know if that's what they're talking about or not.

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I used to go to Las Vegas three times a year: New Year's (for bowl games), Super Bowl and Final Four weekend, which happened to coincide most years with opening day of baseball. The primary reason for going to Vegas was to bet on games. I don't see what the big deal is. Gambling's legal in Vegas, I'm of legal age to gamble; what's the big deal.

9. seravaf

seravaf New Member

I don't bet on sports. But I love to shoot dice.

But I've been thinking about the percentage of sportswriters that do bet on sports. I'm glad someone brought this up.

Does it make it OK if you bet on a sport other than the one you cover?

I don't see what the big deal is. You aren't impacting the outcome of a game. You're just an "unbiased observer" who happens to form an opinion or report facts. Unless you're betting on information that you come up with from reporting inside the locker room or trusted team sources -- which go unreported -- do you have an advantage.

But if you know, you're really like the last person to know. Even if it's unreported, Vegas knows before you do as the reporter. That's how much money is being "invested" in these games....

Thoughts?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I wish I knew.

[/peterose]

11. Sylvie808

Sylvie808 New Member

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think it's only really an issue if you are using some inside information you have not available to the general public.

Draft saved Draft deleted