1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Does your paper/station use bowl sponsor's names on first reference?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 4, 2006.

?

What is your paper's policy on bowl names?

1. Include sponsor's name if part of the title

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Exclude sponsor's name if part of the title

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  3. No consistent policy

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. Hard line: We don't use sponsor's names, period, even if there's nothing else in the title

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Other (please explain in a post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This comes up every year at our shop. We do it for the local bowl but not always for the others. I'd like to know if other papers call it the Allstate Sugar Bowl and the Fed-Ex Orange Bowl or not.

I realize some, such as the Chick-fil-A Bowl, dropped the longtime name and simply go by the sponsor's name now, but for the ones that still have the traditional name as part of the title, do you use the sponsor's name or not?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We leave out the sponsor name.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

First reference, after that, commonly used name. Actually got into it with some local organizers of a basketball tournament about that a few weeks ago.

5. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Let me guess...the EA Sports Maui Invitational? We got that hate mail, too. Promptly discarded it and continued using "Maui Invitational."

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

it would take me a second if someone told me georgia was playing virginia tech in the chick-fil-a bowl (and i've been to a chick-fil-a peach bowl and had chick-fil-a coupons for about 6 months because of it -- and was pelted by a bean-bag cow), i'd have to think for a second and then say, 'oh, you mean the peach bowl?' and then they'd correct me and i'd still call it the peach bowl.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just the Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, etc. here. Which is how it's supposed to be. If the corporate sponsors want their name attached to the bowl game, they would have to go the Chick-fil-A route.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh hell no. Much lower profile than that, but the same argument. Made it even more laughable.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

BUY
    AN
    AD.

;)

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I knew that was coming and it was still funny.

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

We take the Chick-Fil-As of the bowl world and change them back to Peach, etc., if we can remember which game is which. Golf is bad, auto racing is worse (the names change more often and who remembers what the original is; not the drivers, who refer to the track or city name).

12. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Eventually, it won't matter. Corporate sponsors will rename them all, a la the Peach Bowl. There's no way around naming the sponsor when it's called the GMAC Bowl or the Insight.com Bowl or the MPC Computers Bowl or the PapaJohns.com Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted