1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

POLL: Do the Cowboys get rid of Romo?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 30, 2012.

?

Will the Cowboys get rid of Tony Romo in 2013?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    77.9%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If any teams gives up an early pick for Smith, they would be insane...

The Niners will cut him and he will become a free agent.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Until the last 2-3 years (with Garrett ostensibly providing input), the Cowboys' drafts have been uniformly abysmal, rounds 1-7. The hits are rare in the earlier era: Ware, Witten, Ratliff, Spencer (still on the team) and Terence Newman, Chris Canty (now playing elsewhere).

They've done pretty well finding diamonds buried in the poo-poo, via undrafted free agency and raiding other practice squads. Romo and Austin are two examples. The Cowboys' scouting department has been top-notch for nearly the entire existence of the franchise.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

This is such an ESPN First Take question. You have to be either a reactionary dope or a dope looking for a reaction to argue for getting rid of Romo.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

To the rest of the world, probably not. To Jerry, he could choose Matt Barkley just to show the world how much smarter he is. Quincy Carter was a sixth-round projection and Jerry took him in the second.

5. joe

joe Active Member

This Kansas City fan would seriously rethink my rooting interest if the Chiefs are stupid enough to even TRY to get Romo. Fuck that. I'd rather have another 2-14 season and another top pick when maybe there's a QB worth taking in the draft. But this is the Chiefs we're talking about, so anything and everything stupid is on the table.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

I was responding to Mizzou, who said the Cowboys' best option would be to take a QB in the first or second round. My contention is their best option is to get line help (both OL and DL) at the top of the draft.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Pencil in Tyler Wilson - Jones has a soft spot for former Razorbacks - and you've got something.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Like Clint Stoerner, Wilson will be available without one pick being cast.

I remember Mickey Spagnola saying in 2003 the Cowboys' QB of the future was in junior high. So maybe next year they can steal him off someone's practice squad.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think as a Cowboy fan it would be utterly frustrating to see Romo back. He makes incredible plays that make his 4Q picks even more maddening.
    I just don't see the Cowboys winning a Super Bowl any time soon. With the lack of startable qbs in the draft Romo will never have highter value.
    You want to keep Romo? Fine. Maybe next year you make the playoffs, win a game or two, but there are too many other holes in the lineup.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Romo is a good quarterback but not an elite one. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl and I think most people here would say that Romo is better than Dilfer. Better talent around him -- a better line, better running backs -- would make the offense better balanced and Romo wouldn't feel compelled to take Favre-type gambles.

Upgrade the defense to one that can actually hold a lead and Romo won't have to take Favre-type gambles while trying to overcome a 10-point deficit with five minutes to go.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have to think Romo could garner Herschel Walker-type value. A top quarterback helps a lot, but if you look at who is staying home (Brees, E. Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger) and who is in (Flacco, Dalton, Ponder) it isn't a cure-all.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I could see them getting a first-rounder for Romo, but not much beyond that. He's not going anywhere...

Draft saved Draft deleted