1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

POLL: Do the Cowboys get rid of Romo?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 30, 2012.

?

Will the Cowboys get rid of Tony Romo in 2013?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    77.9%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's what should happen. I think Romo is coachable.

The problem is that would undermine Garrett, who is supposed to be this great QB guru, even though I don't really know why he has that rep. Bring in Norv Turner as the OC.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Romo isn't the only problem with Dallas. He get's the blame but a lot of it begins with JJ.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

A familiar site.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Cite?

5. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I almost wrote the same thing...well, except for the part about Alex Smith. I don't think he's a better option.

As a Cowboys fan, I don't think I'd want to root for Cutler, and I'm not so sure he'd be a better option. Flacco? No. Rivers would be interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want to root for him either.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right. But that's not going to change. I think Dallas' best bet would have been if they had finished 6-10 and Jones had gutted the staff and maybe made a run at a big-name coach, maybe one who would force Jones to step back (if that's possible...).

I would hire Norv Turner. Make him assistant HC or whatever title you have to. The guy is a terrible HC, but does great work with quarterbacks.

7. beanpole

beanpole Member

There are a lot of teams that would love to have Tony Romo as a quarterback. So no, you don't dump him.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Key is right. The current Cowboys roster is not a Super Bowl-caliber team. If you were making a list, position by position, of what the Cowboys need to improve in order to be a Super Bowl team, QB would be very far down on the list. Give Romo an offensive line that can competently run block and a better front seven defensively (Ware excepted) and then judge him. Jerry Jones has shown a complete inability to build the trenches on either side of the ball.

Here is a quick test: lets use the Green Bay defense, which isn't a great defense, but has good depth and uses a 3-4 defense. Lets say that Ted Thompson could take any player off the Dallas defense, with the caveat being that he has to send the equivalent player back to Dallas. So if he takes the Dallas starting strong safety (Danny McCray), he has to send his starting strong safety to Dallas in exchange (Morgan Burnett). How many trades would he make? He would definitely trade Erik Walden for Anthony Spencer. Depending on how you feel about Clay Matthews v. DeMarcus Ware, I'm not sure what other trades Thompson would make. That's how unremarkable the Dallas defense is.

Read through the Cowboys draft history of the last 10 years. With a few exceptions, Dallas has done absolutely awful at finding young, talented players after the third round. At the very least, Jerry needs to hire a talented collegiate scouting director and give him free reign in drafting after the third round to build up a pipeline of young, cheap talent.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Jones won't hire a coach with enough to clout to tell him to STFU.

Isn't he the only pro team owner who holds a press conference after every game his team plays?

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

You all know none of this is happening, right? I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry signs Romo to a five-year extension.

The best option for the Cowboys would be to use those first- and second-round choices on linemen, especially offensive linemen. Is there even one QB coming out worthy of a first-round pick?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No way Smith is worth a first-round pick. Maybe Jerry Jones is that stupid, but it shouldn't cost close to that much to get him.

Smith is not an upgrade over Romo. Not at all.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

If you ask Jones, he will tell you he tried the "strong coach" model with Parcells and it didn't get him any better results than doing it his way. Therefore, in Jerry Universe, it was a failed experiment and he will do it his way.

Draft saved Draft deleted