1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

POLL: Do the Cowboys get rid of Romo?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 30, 2012.

?

Will the Cowboys get rid of Tony Romo in 2013?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    77.9%
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If that's the condensed version *** anyway, Romo could probably drink for free in this town for the rest of his life.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I were the Cowboys I'd change QBs just for the sake of changing. You aren't going to upgrade, but you will change the dynamic on the team which might be enough to get them out of their rut.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Seriously? I hope you don't feel that way about your wife.

"Honey, I know our marriage could use some work. I'm going to divorce you. My next wife probably won't make as happy as you have, but it will change the dynamic in my life and that might be enough to get me out of the rut that I am in."

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Skins will never trade him in the division, especially to Dallas. He's not an on-the-back-9 Donovan McNabb.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Y'all are counting on Jerry Jones to make a smart personnel decision? He's the Tony Romo of NFL owners. (Or is Romo the Jerry Jones of QBs?)

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Romo falls into the Flacco category. He's probably not good enough to get you to a Super Bowl, but you don't get rid of him unless you have a better option available.

I don't know if Alex Smith is better than Romo. Smith sucked until Harbaugh arrived. I could see him sucking under a different coach.

I think the best option for the Cowboys would be to draft a QB in the first or second round and hope that QB becomes better than Romo.

I get that Romo has a history of choking in the playoffs and in games that would get the Cowboys to the playoffs, but are people going to call for the Falcons to get rid of Matt Ryan if they lose in two weeks?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree but it has become apparent that Romo is a fraud. Jerry Jones has been blowing enough smoke up people's asses about this guy ever since he came into the league. Two things rise to the top, manue and cream. Add a third thing to that list, a Jerry Jones lie.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Fraud? Really? It's not apparent to me.
    Not-elite quarterback, sure.
    Fraud? No.

9. Mizzougrad96

I don't know... The Cowboys lost a game that most people thought they would lose... I think too much is being made of it. I know they lost largely due to a Romo pick that was thrown right to the Redskins, but plenty of good quarterbacks throw stupid interceptions like that. Hell, almost every game during the second half of Brett Favre's career ended with him throwing a shitload of picks against the (Pick a team... Rams, Falcons, Eagles, Vikings, Giants, Saints...) and costing his team the game.

It will never happen, but it would be interesting to see teams swap talented quarterbacks who can't close to see if a change of scenery makes a difference... Take Rivers, Cutler and Romo and see how they would do in different cities... (Not quite sure I'd put Flacco and Ryan with that group quite yet...).

From the Cowboys standpoint it becomes a question of can you upgrade the position? I don't think that's realistic this off-season. They're better off giving him another year and waiting to see if a really good QB becomes available by trade or free agency and maybe you take a flier on someone in the draft? What other options are there?

Smith might be a better option, but that's far from a lock. Who else will be available? Flynn? No.... Vick? No... Sanchez? No...

I don't know if there is a team out there that has a backup QB who people think will be the next Schaub or Hasselbeck.

Cousins might fit that, but I don't really see the Redskins and Cowboys making a trade.

10. Mizzougrad96

Romo is not a fraud. He's a good quarterback who struggles in big games late in the season or in the postseason...

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

The Cowboys were completely out-coached last night. Couldn't handle the blitz on offense, couldn't handle the read option on defense. Neither of which excuses Romo's final INT.

Romo is good enough to keep the team in the playoff race and bad enough to keep them from making the postseason. If the Cowboys get some help - a healthy Murray, a turnover producing defense - they may be able to make a playoff run. The Super Bowl, though, is beyond what the current ceiling is for this team.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If Romo is coachable, why not hire a new quarterbacks coach?

Draft saved Draft deleted