1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

POLL: Do the Cowboys get rid of Romo?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 30, 2012.

?

Will the Cowboys get rid of Tony Romo in 2013?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    77.9%
  1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, it depends who else is available to replace him and at what cost.

Romo's certainly not the worst QB in the league and the talent around him is mediocre. But I don't get the feeling he's going to put a team on his back and carry them anywhere. Three playoff trips and one win in seven seasons. Maybe a change of scenery will be best for everyone.

Romo for Mark Sanchez?

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

He'd be an upgrade over the most recent savior, Kevin Kolb.

Seriously, if there is an NFL graveyard for quarterbacks, Arizona is it.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

With two twists. Romo can't punt.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I see Chiefs fans on my Facebook feed talking about Romo going there next season. But I haven't been able to figure out if they're serious or if it's some sort of "Hey, he couldn't be any worse than Cassel/Quinn!"mass-pity party.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

[​IMG]

Disagrees.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If Matt Flynn is the answer, I shudder to ask what the question is.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Until I see more than I have to date, I wouldn't give more than a fifth-round pick for Flynn. Especially if I have to eat a big contract.

It's just amazing how often teams reach and overpay for marginal QBs, either in the college draft or free agency.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This may or may not enter into Jerry's decision, but Romo is due $11.5 million in 2013, while $5 million of his prorated guaranteed money would hit the cap if he is waived.

10. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I don't think that's fair. He hasn't been given a chance to play.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Romo for a 1 and 2 or 3 from KC or Arizona. Cowboys flip a 2 and 3 for Flynn or the 1 for Alex Smith.

I think it would work out well for everyone involved.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I wrote a rant about this on FB, but here is a condensed version:

Romo is not the problem. He's not in the Brady-Manning-Rodgers tier, but he's in the next level with a bunch of guys. Whoever the Cowboys get to replace him will almost certainly not be as good, especially given how weak this draft class is.

Romo is given a weak running game, an awful offensive line and an unreliable defense. Why does every game seem to come down to a crazy 4th quarter? Because the Cowboys defense can't *consistently* stop anyone. DeMarcus Ware is probably the premier pass rusher of this generation, but the defense lacks other difference makers. Most importantly, it has always lacked quality depth during Romo's time there. When week 17 rolls around and injuries have taken their toll, the defense doesn't have enough talent on the field.

The Cowboys ask Romo to win games in the fourth quarter with a bad offensive line and no running attack. If the Cowboys have the lead, he can't salt it away by pounding the ball for a few first downs. Even if Romo scores, it's even money that the defense will give up that lead, forcing Romo to lead another drive down the field. The Cowboys put him in a position to fail, but somehow he gets all of the blame for the inevitable.

I'm not saying he is a perfect quarterback. But Bill James has a great line that the biggest fallacy that a poorly managed team has is that it believes its best players aren't good enough. If Jerry Jones stepped back, let someone else put together a good offensive line and a solid defense ... suddenly we would be reading a ton of articles about how Romo "finally put it all together."

Draft saved Draft deleted