1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Date or not?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bucknutty, Jul 3, 2007.

?

Based on the situation below, is this a date?

Poll closed Jul 5, 2007.
  1. Yes

22.6%
  2. No

32.3%
  3. It might become one

45.2%
  1. John

John Well-Known Member

Yeah, wow ... but I loved the Rocky Top bit.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Ditto. Wow. And who calls it cooter?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Southern gentlemen... Or at least bitter, jaded, hateful ones who can't figure out why they're not closing too many deals... ;D

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Cooter? Funny. I remember that being one of the slang words for poom-poom (Jamaican term there) in junior high.

So I'd treat this get-together as just that, a chance to re-acquaint with an old friend. Go into it with no expectations. I'd suggest toward the end of dinner if she wants to go halves, or offer to pay for dinner if she pays for drinks. Make it low-key. See how it goes. See if you're into her, and if she's into you. Read her body language. If you think it's going well at the end of the night, ask her out again in a more "I'd like to go out with you" serious tone.

Just be yourself and see where it takes you.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I stand by my thoughts 100%. You're right, I'm absolutely jaded. I live in a town where, when you hug someone, they hug with their eyes open, to look over your shoulder, to see if there's someone better looking/wealthier/drives a nicer car/more successful than you. L.A. rocks!

I have a couple of friends with benefits that I could call whenever, but I'm past it and looking for more than that. My long-time girlfriend (whom I bought a house with) had an affair and subsequently dumped me for an architect a little more than a year ago, leaving me holding the bag on the 20% of the mortgage I wasn't paying.

After a few months of casual dating/hookups, I dated a woman who was actually pretty cool, but a few dates in, she was diagnosed with breast cancer, and decided that she needed alone time. Fine. Sad. But I understand.

A few months after that, I started dating an absolutely wonderful woman, who unfortunately, wasn't emotionally available for a variety of reasons. I was pinkslipped after the Griffith Park fires got really close to my house. I wasthisclose to being evacuated. I called to see if I could stay at her house. I don't hear from her till a couple of days later. I took the hint.

Jaded? Sure. Bitter? No question. But every date I've had since then has been a complete gutterball.

6. Mizzougrad96

I've been where you are... I don't doubt for a second that you have every right to feel the way you do, but you can never let a date know that you still have baggage, bitterness or whatever left from previous relationships...

You've got to step back and be able to tell yourself that if someone doesn't want to be with you, it's their loss and you're more than capable of finding someone who is. I know it sounds cliche, but it's totally true... It took me awhile to get there and when I did, I met my wife a few weeks later...

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Why are you men paying for everything? You all say its gentlemanly. I suspect many women take you for saps. Just my opinion.

8. westcoastvol

I have a date tonight, but afterwards, assuming a worst-case scenario, I'm probably going on hiatus.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't go on hiatus, westcoast, just keep pluggin' away. You'll find someone you like, who likes you back. Of course, I've been saying that for, oh, ... well, a while now.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

There ARE good women out there. Really. Promise.
    Plus, I think you'd save money on tissues/lotion and such if you find a good one who believes in splitting meals and thanking you for them later.

11. Mizzougrad96

You don't tell your dates that you're obsessed with Charles Nelson Reilly do you?

Because that could be the root of your problems... ;D

12. westcoastvol

I actually just use lube and...nevermind.

And Mizzou, one of my better dates was with a woman who was equally obsessed with CNR and Match Game. In fact, I got a text message from an old galpal during after-dinner drinks that said he just died.

Draft saved Draft deleted