1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Best Super Bowl champ

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Feb 3, 2007.

?

And, please, none of the drunks who voted on the NFL Network's fiasco need contribute....

1. 1966 Packers

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. 1972 Dolphins

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. 1973 Dolphins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1975 Steelers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1977 Cowboys

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. 1978 Steelers

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  7. 1984 49ers

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. 1985 Bears

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  9. 1989 49ers

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  10. 1992 Cowboys

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  11. 1999 Rams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 2000 Ravens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. other

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Comparing teams from different eras is difficult, obviously, on several levels.

But the '85 Bears were easily the most dominant, and my opinion, best, team to win the Super Bowl. Hell they were a 21-point favorite. They could have put up 60 points on the Patriots, if they were so inclined. (Granted, Eason was a pussy and they had to finish the game with Steve Grogan playing with an injured neck. By the same token, I don't think I'd wanna be the QB playing against that defense that day.)

I think the '78 Steelers are in the discussion, maybe the '89 Forty-Niners, but only a physical team like the Steelers would have hung with the Bears that year. Only a simpleton like Mike Ditka could fuck that up. (Wait, he did, along with the tight-fisted Bears front office.)

The '91 Redskins should also be in the mix. That was a dominant team, consistent, head and shoulders over the rest that year. Never mind that Rypien was the quarterback. Didn't matter.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

For you.

Not for me.

Finishing with 17 wins, going 3-0 in the playoffs, outscoring three playoff teams by an average score of 42-9 is more impressive to me, than going 14-0 against teams that averaged, wait for it, 5-9. Averaged.

It's unheard of.

Three good wins in the playoffs, albeit none in excess of seven points, helps.

But... please.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

They were not.

I made my first great SB score with them at minus-11.5.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The Bears never rallied from behind like this in 85. Never had to.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, that is a pretty good standard

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just go on my lifetime... So for me, it'd be the 1989 Niners vs. the 1985 Bears...

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On ability, the '78 Steelers
    On my guess who'd win in the Super Super Up Yonder Bowl, the '66 Packers. In a time when teams had 40-man rosters, they had two Hall of Fame running backs ON THE BENCH!

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

I truly wonder how any of those teams would have done if they had lost their starting QB for more than half the regular season?
    And why doesn't any other team with an "easy" schedule run the table?
    Looking at them as a whole, the No Name defense, one of the best OLs in NFL history, a HOF WR and QB, plus the 1-2-3 RB punch of Csonka, Morris and Kiick, I dare anyone to come up with a team that good, a team that went to 3 straight SBs and won 2 of them.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Fuck the '85 Bears....that is all ;D

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For my money, the 85 Bears are the best team of the 33 years I've been on this planet...

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

85 Bears, but the 78 Steelers and 77 Cowboys are right up there. All due props to the 72 Dolphins, but they're just not the greatest Super Bowl champs of all time.

For those who care, here's their sked:
    http://www.phins.com/72phins/sched.html

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Give me the list of teams who have played the schedule against 16 teams averaging 6-10 (which is a better record than 5-9 the Dolphins' opponents had)

Draft saved Draft deleted