1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Are you still working in journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hey Diaz!, Oct 12, 2014.

?

Are you still working in journalism?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. No, but I freelance on the side

9 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

Just curious.

Seems this place could be renamed Formersportsjournalists.com ... or so it seems. Please vote and let's find the truth! :D

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No, but I'd be willing to do some pieces if asked.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Officially, no. But I've written a couple of stories for our company website.

I'll probably do some freelancing in the future, but I wanted to make a clean break. So I'm not doing any for the first year in the new career.

4. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I'm five years in and actually looking to jump to a daily. While I know the field has it's issues, I have a weird sense of optimism and a work ethic I feel should bring me where I want to go.

And now I wait for the criticism of someone either saying I'm a fool for how I think or telling me I need to get out now. [Starts timer]

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm almost 30 years in, but no longer even dabble in sports.
    Strictly news now.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I Should Coco said it best:

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll keep playing my violin, too. Dry land (retirement) is only a few years off, and I've hoarded enough life jackets and lifeboats to keep me going no matter when/if the ship sinks.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Been running around, searching for a lifeboat, while holding a chair that I hope I can cling to if I'm in the ocean.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I always wanted to be a farmer. I think I would have talent for it.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Took a buyout in June, ending a 44-year newspaper career, all in sports. I've said for the past couple of years my next job will be no job. So far that is true. But I am going to write a story about a golf tournament for my high school's alumni newspaper.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Why does it matter? I can, and will, talk journalism (among other things) with anyone, anywhere, anytime, and that's what this web site/message board is for, is it not?

Once you've been a journalist, and if you've done it right, it seems to me that you're always one, at least at heart. Plus, virtually anyone who goes out of the business tends to do so only half-way for a while, freelancing a little, or sometimes a lot, before other priorities (like a non-freelance job) take precedence.

Freelancing, in fact, can always be an option once you've had some good experience. It is for me, even still, after leaving my last full-time journalism job almost seven years ago now. (Wow, I can't believe it was that long ago already. It still seems like it was just last year, or two years ago at the most. I guess that's because it was a very impacting time for me).

12. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

Your high school has an alumni newspaper?

Draft saved Draft deleted